Author Topic: New member says hello  (Read 1332 times)

Pipes

New member says hello
« on: July 05, 2007, 10:45:23 PM »
Hello all,
Ive just bought a US style 78 K7 off Ebay,did anyone see it/go look at it?
It seems pretty good,no leaks from anywhere (except the fork seals) and the engine starts & runs well with no smoke.I am amazed how well it starts from cold or hot with the kickstart.I will say though it has a rattle/rattles about it on tickover which disappears with the slightest of increase in throttle,it seems slightly louder on the offside.When i pull the clutch lever in the noisiest rattle goes leaving one that sounds like an old Singer sewing m/c.
Would i be right in thinking the clutch basket has a problem,whats the fix?
Is my camchain making a noise also?Ive read a couple of posts about people adjusting the tensioner,i thought they were self adjusting,again,whats the fix?.
The front brake is a single disc that is so pathetic its untrue.I need to get a new front end from the forks down.What should i look out for?
The back brake is brilliant.a bit too good if anything.
The rear springs seem very low,is this typical on this model?
Thats all my woes.No hang on...the horn doesnt work unless you hold it.
I live in Rugby by the way,do any other members live locally?

Cheers Pete

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
Re:New member says hello
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 08:11:25 AM »
Hi Pipes

I live in floody Lincolnshire, but welcome to the forum and to the glories of owning a CB750.

Top end rattle from a bike this age is normal, the cam chain tensioner is not automatic, but simple to set.

Clutch rattle, again normal, some say it goes it you change to a clutch off the F2, I tried this and it did improve a bit.

Front end, you could just transplant a GL1000, that's what I'm looking for, it has the dual disc arrangment,  and should just bolt on (Someone tell me if I'm wrong). :blink:

Rear springs, may just be set too soft, or lost all their fluid, an after market set is not that expensive and can be bought new.

Horn, thats probably dirt in the switch contacts, a spray of good contact cleaner, like WD40 should clear it, if you decide to dismantle the switch, watch out for the tiny spring(s).

Parts are freely available for the CB750, and most engine parts work across the most models. Just remember that there is also a DOHC CB750 and not all ebayers state this.Do your research and if in doubt ask.

That all said, welcome, remember, when things don't go your way, to chant the mantra \"it's only a hobby, it's only a hobby\" :lol:
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

Pipes

Re:New member says hello
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 03:52:58 PM »
Camchain adjusted now,much quieter.Took carbs off,started motor,much quieter.Ive been reading about how unbalanced carbs will cause clutch to rattle,must be some truth in itI know carbs will still be unbalanced but something has happened.....anyhoo...
GL1000,i was thinking about another CB750 that has it,i havent looked into it too much yet.I read that you can bolt another disc on to your wheel using longer through bolts,then bolt another caliper to the other fork as the boltholes are all there anyway.But since my tubes are pitted i was just going to replace the whole shabbang with a much newer front end.
I want to do a CR750 copy so I`m going to get the bodywork all fitted etc so i can see which lugs and brackets i can grind off and which ones i need to weld on before i go down that road.
Going to start a new thread about that though.
Cheers for welcome & answer;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal