Author Topic: brake Squeal  (Read 1790 times)

Offline daveh

• View Profile
brake Squeal
« on: July 17, 2007, 11:52:02 AM »
I am suffering from brake squeal on the front brake its been stripped several times and the pads changed. All seems well for a short time then the squeal returns. Any one suffered the same or can  recommend a type of brake pad. EBC pads are fitted at present. 

Offline Voxonda

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: brake Squeal
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 04:55:57 PM »
Hello,

What you may hear is the vibration of the brakepads. What, almost always is sufficient, is to apply a bit of coppergrease to the back of the pads where the pad meets the piston. I'm sure that the sgueal is something of the past.

Good luck, Rob
Better sorry for failing than for the lack of trying.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 06:57:23 PM »
This is one of those "They all do that Sir" questions.

There are various fixes, from complete rebuilds to the grease on the back of the pad, but none of them really works for long. I guess the resonant frequency of the caliper setup is just right for the sort of vibes created by the braking.

I find that whatever I do, the squealing comes back eventually - quicker if I don't use the bike for a while.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Voxonda

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 09:40:21 PM »
This is one of those "They all do that Sir" questions.

There are various fixes, from complete rebuilds to the grease on the back of the pad, but none of them really works for long. I guess the resonant frequency of the caliper setup is just right for the sort of vibes created by the braking.

I find that whatever I do, the squealing comes back eventually - quicker if I don't use the bike for a while.

Hey steve,

That's why, nowadays, all the modern calipers use anti-squealing plates behind the pads.

Cheers, Rob
Better sorry for failing than for the lack of trying.

Offline daveh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 09:07:58 AM »
Thanks for the replies, when the squealing started I thought the pads needed replacing so I fitted some EBC pads which are greenish in colour which I bought some years ago but it didn't cure it for long. The old pads have been in years and I think they are genuine honda and are a brown sintered material they have certainly lasted well. Which/whose pads do you use?
As I am half convinced it is the material the pad is made of which is causing the squeal. 

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 10:21:31 AM »
Rob is correct. You don't hear sqealing on modern bikes (not mine anyway!)

I think that a modern computer-designed caliper has a resonant frequency well away from that likely to be encountered in normal use.

Mr Honda never had this technology in the 60's.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 11:14:08 AM »
I too agree with Steve and Rob, loads of conditions lead to break squeal, from worn discs to dusty pads, and modern sintered pads only add to the problem because they contain metal fragments, thats why you have keep changing your discs on your car every so often.

You may find you're banging your head on the wall with this one, you could change the pads and find the squeal goes away only to find it return again after some heavy braking or after a few thousand miles of wear.

My solution, clean all the parts with break cleaner, Copper grease on the back of the pad. Then put up with the noise it may go away. :-[
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal