Author Topic: My poor old neglected CB550  (Read 5722 times)

pistonbroke

My poor old neglected CB550
« on: September 11, 2007, 02:01:09 PM »
Well hi to all,about 4years ago after a rush of blood (or was it beer?) i decided to add a CB550 to my stable of unused (due to time) bikes,so after seeing the add and buying the bike it stayed in my garage unloved and untouched until last week when the one that breaths fire decided to nag me into action,after looking the bike over it was obvious that nothing short of a full restoration was needed (i did pray to jesus but i'm told he's dead,just my luck hay? :)).She really is in a terrible state but i am a mechanic so there is hope for the old girl.I will put some pics on later and you can see what i mean.Anyway i thought i would see if anyone had,or knows of or where i could obtain a set of clocks for my 1976 steed?I would like a NOS set but that jesus guy just isnt about so that my last hope gone me thinks ??? still any help would be rewarded with much cheering, beering and exchange of coin of the realm

Offline pae

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Phil's CB650 pages
Re: My poor old neglected CB550
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 03:35:52 PM »
Well, we can cheer and beer aplenty, so if that's all you need everything will be fine  ;)

But of course we can't do that without pics, as that's what makes us happy (simple souls that we are)

Oh, welcome to the site, too

regards, Phil

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 05:05:48 PM »
Hi Mr Broke.

Where are you?  Anywhere round here and we could sort some help for you.

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 08:29:32 PM »
We need more old CB's on the road so get cracking, like the name, years ago when I was with the Wheelwrights MC club we started a rally called the Piston Broke Rally.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

pistonbroke

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 10:35:53 PM »
Well, we can cheer and beer aplenty, so if that's all you need everything will be fine  ;)

But of course we can't do that without pics, as that's what makes us happy (simple souls that we are)

Oh, welcome to the site, too

regards, Phil

Well hello to you phill and thanks for the welcome,i will post some pics of my noble steed when i get the time(yes time now there's a concept...lol) It would appear that we could both do with copious amounts of the foaming stuff after looking at your CB650 project...lol but isn't that the joy of a restoration?(well maybe when you start one...lol) i must say that i am looking forward to spending my nights media blasting parts and polishing very decrepit ally casings to a mirror shine as ive been sorely lacking in my restorations over the last few years.The one thing i have on my side is the amount of restorations ive done before and the fact that i have a garage at my disposal with all the toys any boy could want...lol i know i can't interrupt my day to day running of my garage but it does help to be able to do just about everything in house so to speak...lol ive even got a small powder coating setup so i am optimistic of a fairly good result,but time(there's that word again) and the warmth of a good dragon(did i say dragon?..wife i meant wife)will tell

cheers Perry   

pistonbroke

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 11:11:48 PM »
Hi Mr Broke.

Steve

Hi Steve,thanks for the offer of help my friend but my friends tell me i'm well past that point and the wife tell me the only thing i won't pass is a pub...lol as i dont where "round here" is for you i can't really say mate,"round here" for me is sunny subtropical essex, Colchester to be precise,the bike is here at my house at the moment but when i start the restoration proper i will move it to my workshop otherwise kids and other assorted animals will move and lose things just to add to my frustrations, and the one i call mistress will moan like a banshee if i dare take it out of the garage at home and show it daylight at the house...lol But if your ever down my way call in and we can swallow large amounts of  some local brew and exaggerate about our accomplishments in the field of electromechanical restorations knowing full well that it took us far to long to do and that we DID bugger it first time we tried...lol

Cheers Perry

pistonbroke

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 11:50:12 PM »
We need more old CB's on the road so get cracking, like the name, years ago when I was with the Wheelwrights MC club we started a rally called the Piston Broke Rally.

Cheers

Den

Hi Den,ah yes the name!...lol well over the years ive had to repair so many vehicles with knackered pistons that i thought that sounds good...lol, or it could be that in the money grabbing capitalist,tax you to the hilt,open border,illegal immigrant,give money to others but not to our own, britain of today,you will be boke if you have a good session...lol Anyway i digress,yes we do need more old CB's back on the road,my only problem is time unfortunatly,i do run a busy workshop so time with my family is short so i have spent most of my free time with them,but they are a bit older now so i do have high hopes of doing this bike in a reasonable amount of time,but it will get done even if it takes me years...lol but it's like everything my friend,half the fun is running around auto jumbles looking through piles of old crap that the "GEEZER" assures you is not only the right part for your bike,but is also the only one in existence at five times the price of the part when it was new...lol,you then find the part festering at the bottom of knackered box well on it's way to becoming part of a yet undiscovered element of the periodic table..lol,still as they say "what are ya gunna do"?

Cheers Perry

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 08:51:20 AM »
Perry, if you add your location to your profile, we can all check where you are. You can see anyone else's details (those that they admit anyway) by clicking on their name in the left hand column.

If you click on my name you'll see that I'm in Wokingham Berkshire - not a million miles away.

BTW can anyone else see these Google ads that have suddenly appeared (as posts?) in this thread?
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 08:57:33 AM »
There's a company in Bristol called Pistonbroke Engineering - they advertise in Classic M/C Mechanics but their web address doesn't seem to exist any more.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

pistonbroke

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 09:50:13 AM »
Perry, if you add your location to your profile, we can all check where you are. You can see anyone else's details (those that they admit anyway) by clicking on their name in the left hand column.

If you click on my name you'll see that I'm in Wokingham Berkshire - not a million miles away.

BTW can anyone else see these Google ads that have suddenly appeared (as posts?) in this thread?

Hi mate,i'll see about putting the my location in a bit later,well that's if i can see anything later after all the Tig welding i've got to do today...lol as far as the Google ads are concerned they dont appear to be on my screen,well not yet but there is allways time,still who knows what will appear later when i've had a few jars?
'

pistonbroke

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 09:52:09 AM »
There's a company in Bristol called Pistonbroke Engineering - they advertise in Classic M/C Mechanics but their web address doesn't seem to exist any more.

Ha ha well it could be that the owner had far to many days on the lash and went broke...lol,who can tell...lol

pistonbroke

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 01:26:26 PM »
Hi Mr Broke.

Steve

Hi steve,your going to love this...lol ive just bought a CBX400 custom...lol Does my pain never stop...lol

Offline pae

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Phil's CB650 pages
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 02:05:19 PM »

No, none visible here.

regards, Phil

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 06:22:02 PM »
Gone now ???
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 01:43:31 PM »
Hi guys, I was experimenting with the google ads module for the forum, but it was a bit crap so I've removed it

John
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal