Author Topic: Water Based Paints  (Read 3499 times)

Offline BassMan_720

• View Profile
    • CB750K2
Water Based Paints
« on: October 15, 2007, 03:04:09 PM »
I'm a bit of an anorak when it comes to my little projects. I take great pleasure in doing tough jobs myself.

I now have a bit of a dilemma. Apparently, it has been illegal to market newly manufactured, solvent based, paints in the UK since January 2007. Distributors can continue to sell old stocks only. By the end of 2007 solvent based products may be very difficult, if at all, to obtain.

So, I'm about to start a new restoration and want to paint the thing myself. So as not to make things easy, I'm restoring a candy gold CB750K2; not the easiest of paint jobs. I have trawled the internet for information on water based paint systems. The information out there is patchy to say the least; no doubt because suppliers don't want to bring attention to themselves for supplying non compliant products.

I have found several references to water based paint, including candy colours, but all of these require a UV blocking clear coat. All recommend 2K clear coats. Will these still be available in 2008? Will I have to clear coat the black, solid colour, frame? 

Does anybody out there have any idea about what paints I will need to complete the job, e.g. primer, sealers, base colour, candy, clear coat, activators, catalysts, plasticisers, thinners, etc.

I suppose I could stock up with the materials now but that will not help me with my next project. Please don't tell me to get a professional to do it. It would, already, be much cheaper to buy a restored bike and, more important, the project would not provide me with the enjoyment of meeting my DIY challenge. 
CB750K2 1972
Guzzi La Mans II 1980
Rpyan Enfield G 1948

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Water Based Paints
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 10:01:58 AM »
Wow, first I've heard of this, will have to do some research in that case, the only water based paints that I know of are acrylics, which I use on my scale models, can't see them lasting 2 minutes on a bike though.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 11:32:32 AM »
Wow, first I've heard of this, will have to do some research in that case, the only water based paints that I know of are acrylics, which I use on my scale models, can't see them lasting 2 minutes on a bike though.

Cheers

Den
Tried the humbrol water based paints on a model kit - total waste of time.  I binned them and used enamel.  The environmental gestapo have some wierd ideas - the latest is to ban incandescent lightbulbs.  The flourescent replacements aren't compatible with dimmers and timers but they don't seem to take this into account
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 04:01:20 PM »
ask RS in Barnsley, they supplied all the 3 pack i bought for the candy gold

Offline BassMan_720

• View Profile
    • CB750K2
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 05:23:43 PM »

Steve
CB750K2 1972
Guzzi La Mans II 1980
Rpyan Enfield G 1948

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 07:18:36 PM »
Practical classics magazine (cars) says that celulose paints will still be available for restorers of vehicles of a historic nature (over 30 years?) possibly DEFEA be introducing a licencing scheme. Anyway it will still be possible to get celulose but not really easy.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal