Author Topic: wheelbuilder  (Read 2368 times)

Offline FATAL

• View Profile
wheelbuilder
« on: November 02, 2007, 09:50:05 PM »
Can anyone reccommend a good and preferably cheap wheelbuilder in the merseyside/south lancashire area ( I live near to St Helens). I am considering having the wheel rims rechromed and stainless steel spokes laced in. I know replacement rims are available but I'm under the impression rechroming may be cheaper.
 ??? What have people done to their wheel hubs? polished, powder coated? I'm wondering about using silver Hammerite smooth, any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Offline peewee

• View Profile
Re: wheelbuilder
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 10:40:40 PM »
Have you tried asking Geoff Davenport he operates from the long defunkt Tom Collins's workshop off boundry road i think  and has worked in the motorcycle trade since i was a teenager which was more years ago than i care to remember, I have found him to be helpfull and friendly, if nothing comes up on the tinternet ask him, there is a chroming place off jackson st sthelens but i have never used them, what you have to remember with chrome is that what you see before is what you get after only shiney as chrome is only microns/thou's thick and will fill no surface inperfections try talking to old british bike restorers as they know all the "wrinkles" one point though if you go for a new rim dont bin your old one as you may need it for reference or want original in the future p.s. smoothrite is good if sprayed  just try and keep cost etc in perspective and try and keep your honda regardless of its originality and condition a usable classic
cheers
peter
remember the squeeky hinge gets the oil first

Offline FATAL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 11:17:29 PM »
Hi Peewee, it's been a long time since I've been to Geoff davenports shop, I didn't know he was still trading. I tried the chroming place in Jackson street a few years ago, but the guy I spoke to didn't seem too keen on doing motorcycle parts, so I took stuff to some chap in Altrincham, but I don't think he's trading now, however someone on this site has reccommended a chromers in Oldham which I'll check out.
 This is my first Jap bike restoration, the others have been old BMWs (R100S, R80ST, R80/7 and a BSA C11G). I have used Central wheel services in Birmingham in the past but they are expensive but do an excellent job, but it's too far to travel there now. In the past business took me to Brum on a regular basis so it wasn't a problem fetching and carrying the gear.
I try to keep cost down, I don't aim for a concours type finish (they were never that good when new from the factory) I agree totally about a usable classic, "RIDE 'EM, DON'T HIDE 'EM". although I try to keep to reasonable originality I will use stainless steel fasteners often allen head bolts, braided steel brake hose, and non original exhausts, this F1 is getting a Motad 4-1

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 08:58:24 AM »
There are few wheel builders left but I found Mersey Motorcycles, Derby Road, Bootle in Liverpool.

It's a traditional old style bike shop and he's been there for years.

They rebuilt the rear wheel on my 550 and did an excellent job.

I could have had stainless spokes and rim if I wanted but I settled for a basic chrome rim with standard spokes which were supplied by Hagon.

Total bill was
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline FATAL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 06:55:54 PM »
Thanks dave I forgot about mersey motorcycles, only been in a couple of times, it's what a bike shop should be like, I hate all the new look modern Gin Palaces. I go past MM  on a regular basis, I'll call in for a chat.

Offline steven400/4

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 07:26:52 PM »
hi i polished my hubs then put cleaer lacker on them thay still look like new as for the wheels hadthem done in derby the bloke does it at his house been doing it 30years did mine with new tyres and rebuild for
cb400f2 x7
honda ss 50
gsx 1400

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal