Author Topic: Rear bearing retainer  (Read 662 times)

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Rear bearing retainer
« on: August 24, 2018, 03:47:34 PM »
Hmmm, need a bit of guidance here please. I've rebuilt the rear hub with new bearings, greased it up and put on the L/H thread retaining ring using the correct tool thingy. It's tight, very tight in fact but still doen't sit flush to the carrier face. I have measured the gap using feeler gauges and can get a 0.12mm feeler in there. All bearings were drifted in using a bearing tool of the correct size and sit tight on the shoulders and was spotlessly clean prior to the work being carried out.

Should the ring be flush to the face or is a small gap normal? I am concerned about applying any more pressure as it is already very tight.

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Rear bearing retainer
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 06:26:08 PM »
If its of any help, I fitted a new sprocket carrier and cush drive rubbers to my CB500/4 late last year and there was a gap between the hub and sprocket carrier when all was assembled. It was the same before dismantling, so I have not been concerned.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 07:57:12 PM »
Mine has a gap too and the bearings were driven in completely, so I don't worry.

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 10:42:20 AM »
Good to know, thanks all. :)

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 04:33:38 PM »
Please tell me you greased up the inner steel surface of the sprocket carrier, if not take it off and do it before it trashes itself in a couple of years.

Yep, thanks Oddjob, gave it a liberal smear with molybdenum disulfide grease.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal