SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

CB400 Four special (Mr Sinx II )

<< < (11/12) > >>

Northy:
Well  from  pile of bits , frame , spare engine and wallet shrinkage bits .......Mr Snix  (mark II) . Still things to sort out.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Running smoother on standard jets, with proper coloured plug which is odd as I'm running pod filter (albeit oiled) Pulls cleanly up to 5k .....running it in , honest !  ::)
Does "smell " warm, combination of tight engine, engine paint going off and warm weather
Brake still feel very wooden.
Front end is too soft
No oil leaks ....had caught the rocker box gasket

There are number things which have arisen since adding all the bits together and riding it.

The 2:4 seat is slightly narrower at the front so some bits on the tank I thought would be covered up ...aren't.
The cockpit fairing is mounted to the headlight bracket which is rubber mount so it wobbles. 
The Speedo is a pattern Cb400n part and is too long (brake line also tad too long as well) further highlighted by soft front end
The massive number plate has to go (looks like a air brake )

Ohh don't just run the engine breather tube into a plastic bottle inside the unused air box , you get steam rising from under the seat.

So is it finished ...nah never , the original one took a number of years to perfect .Then it got used,abused and end up used a commuter.

This is an attempt to go back in time , ie what we did the 70/80's with bikes, we all modified them. I could have put all the modern stuff on it but I might as well got a 1998 honda CB400R (supersport) and tarted it up but where's the fun in that  :-) (ohh that  might be a interesting project  :o :o ;) )_ 

Needs some logos, decals, a clean to remove grubby mit marks & dust, tank needs rubbing down and need to put some more wadding in the exhaust . Its too loud for me so at 6k its going to howl a lot.   

SteveD CB500K0:
You are right about ”this is what we all did to our bikes”. We couldn’t wait to rip them apart (see avatar)

That does look good though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northy:
Thanks for the comments and I think this will be work in progress .

Still very aware it runs very hot .... so just given it some short runs in the cooler parts of the day. I was so paranoid had to check it oil was getting to the top end by removing a tappet cover ....its was and duly ran oil all over the engine. If there was an issue it would have gone bang or screeched to a halt by now. Thinking of putting 20/50w oil in there,currently using 10/40 but it semi syn and well runny when warm.

Plugs are the right colour and the thing is slowly getting better ie not getting so hot so quick. Engine pulls really well. Everyone loves the pipe but still too noisy for me   

Got puncture in rear 1/2 mile from home today ..nice new nail   ::)   rather put a hold on the running in as only had front tubes in my stash.
Also one side panel cracked at the top , was secondhand to start with.   

Modified the rear wheel spindle , fitted a longer one due to dresda box section swing arm being fatter , still tad to long 

Then made simple stop for the rear brake lever, its just a bit ally with offset holes so can used as a cam.

Next up the rear under tray will chopped back , doesn't need to be that big as its not carrying any weight and paint outside black.

Brakes slowing getting there.

Its making me smile  :D  especially when a guy you don't recognise, says "Hi, Northy I remember being chased by that bike back in 80's" not seen him since the early 80's but its that bike they remember.

Or maybe my 40 yrs old oxblood red leather jacket, which has been adjusted to fit again (may put few pounds on over the years)

pistonbroke 66:
Take a bow that man, some cracking work there!

paul G:
Great stuff keep up the good work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version