SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

CB400 Four special (Mr Sinx II )

<< < (12/12)

Northy:
OK folks bit of an unpate .

Bike is now run in with a some 600 miles on the clock ...might not be long enough for some but I'm not  red lining it yet

Still smells hot but the cooler weather has helped and the paint on engine is slowly cured (did put a lot on there ) trouble is dried with bit of dust stuck onto it

2 rear punctures ,  one 1/2 mile  from home (nail) the other 20 mile from home (new screw) and was 3 hr wait in the heat

Replaced the rear shocks with some softer ones much better but the front damping is poor and soft.

Front brake still not fully bedding in, even took them off to check ..too hard a material may be but better than standard set up. G getting better but does show up the soft front end. 

Piccy of revised rear mudguard in plastic replacing the S/S  item  (lost a good kilo there) and slimmer softer shocks
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Have a dimple in my seat .....odd talking point but its where the foam was injected in at the factory

Added some bling to engine (thanks Peter) finned covers

The engine is going fine, really takes off and revs freely and 60-80 acceleration is impressive. Think I've got the jetting about right with a smooth clean pick up .That exhaust does have great rasp at 6 k ...still tad to loud.

The gear box or should I say the rear sets are making for a slow down shift. I've adjusted them and can't quite get it balanced, adjust one way and upshift are the issue. Think the arm on the rear sets is too short and I'm not get proper leverage (or weak spring in the selector mechanism)

However the biggest issue I have is a tiny oil leak from the drive sprocket oil seal. Not from the shaft but between the case and the seal and its bloody annoying. Its only a few drips every 50 mile but still should be happening . This seal was new (all new seal/etc in engine) so why should leaking between the casing, its not distorted. Can't over pressurised in there.

The seal has a locating stub which means removing to replace is a pig split the cases or refit one with the location stub ...anyone done this . For time being I going to try some sealant around it.

So I've the forks to play with , tidy up some of the wiring and oil leak to sort out

K2-K6:
Sounds like you're getting it debugged and how you'd like it.

Your oil seal leak,  as you state it shouldn't really have any pressure in there so maybe worth checking any breathers are OK first to avoid unneeded work.

It's unusual to get a good / competent seal from using sealant on the outside of a leak so may involve more extensive intervention if you can't get a simple cure.

Presume you used new oil in the forks when building?  Otherwise it's definitely worth a change to get better damping control. I use the moto-x derived oils as they are generally good quality for suspension control, with really good anti-foam properties that give consistent damping.

Northy:
Oil leak now sorted

Ok I cheated by putting some TBS (Thermal Bonding System) around the seal. Its a thermal epoxy glue which works up to 120c so that should hold for a few years ...fingers crossed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version