SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

New (to me!) '77 CB400F - US model

(1/80) > >>

mattsz:
The new bike just arrived!  Since I've only really got storage questions at this point, I'll start here...

I stumbled upon this bike three years ago; it was sporting 21.7K miles on the odometer and a pretty orange and white for-sale sign, so I stopped and took a bunch of photos.  Interestingly, at that time I didn't take any pics of the whole bike, just detail shots.  I called the seller about it then; turns out he was a friend who invited me to take it for a ride. It needed some tuning, but it ran pretty well. It had some condition issues. I wasn't really looking to buy a bike, and I didn't - but he's come calling now to trick me into taking it off his hands.

Here's those photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KAHnNEBDir375PbSA

And here's a little youtube video of it running - it was a warm start - it took a few kicks and some throttle juggling to get it to catch, but it idled well once it did.  I think I was focusing on noises, not knowing what's normal...

https://youtu.be/Szxke8bD_dg

Today...

It was last registered on August 3, 2016, and was put in storage at some point after that riding season.  The guy who was storing it for the owner just dropped it off and filled me in - he said drained the fuel tank, but not the carbs.  It was stored in a garage, uncovered, so it's very dusty.  He kicked it over occasionally, and it easily kicks through now.  The battery is stone dead, and the electrolyte levels are uniformly down about an inch.  It's topped up with oil, but I don't know how old it is.  The guy says it was "running great" when it was put away.  The air cleaner looks brand new.  Some of the obvious rust spots in the photos aren't as apparent at the moment, but I doubt they've been cleaned up or painted.

I'm new to Honda fours, so:

Can I assess the carbs without removing them?  I thought I might remove them for a winter once-over, but the "storer" says they'll be difficult to remove, and even harder to reinstall as the the rubber mounts will probably be hardened and expensive to replace.  He thinks I should just try to run it, but two years is a long time with fuel in...

I removed the tank and brought it indoors - the inside looks good and rust-free around the opening, but I can't see down to the lower recesses.  There is a certain stale petrochemical odor within.  I worry that there may be condition issues low-down where I can't see.  Should I just leave it for the winter?  Oil the interior somehow, perhaps?

When we took it off the trailer, I grabbed the front brake at one point to steady the bike, and the wheel locked up.  We backed it into my garage with the non-spinning front wheel leaving a rubber trail behind it.  A few more solid brake lever cycles allowed the wheel to free up some; the wheel turns, but the caliper is still sticking hard.  I can't imagine it's trustworthy without attention - worth removing for a winter overhaul?

I think that silencer crack didn't extend all the way around, and I don't think it leaked three years ago - but it looks like it encircles the whole thing now and I think it might have some black soot around it...

Might I salvage the battery, at least for testing purposes, by topping it up with distilled water and giving it a charge?

I don't have room in my unheated garage to store it; my next-door neighbor will keep this winter in his "basement"; I haven't found out whether it's heated or not, his whole bottom level seems to be a big garage.  But he says he has room along side three other bikes...

I found the original owners manual under the seat - I haven't seen any like it on the internet.  Maybe I'll duplicate it over the winter and make it available...

Any thoughts or input would be welcome...

mattsz:
By the way - the passenger foot pegs on the swinging arm are a hilarious feature!  Why on earth...?

Bryanj:
It is unlikely you will save the battery but if you have a trickle charger(not a standard car one) you might as well try.
The front brake will deffinnately need overhaul. Undo the two bolts that hold the caliper together then put the big half in a bucket and use the master to pump the piston all the way out. Also remove the swinging bracket from the forks then come back for more advice.

Nurse Julie:
Strange spec bike as for a 1977 it is the correct colour, Candy Antares Red but the rear foot pegs position being on the swing arm makes it the earlier model. Great collection of photos.

hairygit:

--- Quote from: Nurse Julie on October 25, 2018, 08:44:33 AM ---Strange spec bike as for a 1977 it is the correct colour, Candy Antares Red but the rear foot pegs position being on the swing arm makes it the earlier model. Great collection of photos.

--- End quote ---
We had this discussion a while ago nursey, for some reason many of the U.S. F2's still had footrests on the swingarm.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version