Author Topic: Splitting the crankcase and oil filter screen  (Read 502 times)

Offline AussieKC

• View Profile
Splitting the crankcase and oil filter screen
« on: December 28, 2018, 01:38:49 AM »
Dear All, another question for the brains trust please. I've completely stripped my project 400/4 and the frame, tank and side covers are off for painting. I'm in the process off doing the mechanicals and there are a couple of road blocks if anyone can help.
Firstly , how does one remove the screen and funnel for the oil pump. How to remove it is not covered in the Clymer manual. (Quite frankly the Clymer manual is a waste of time, is the Haynes manual any better).
Secondly, I'm trying to split the crankcase to check the bearings, gear meshing, etc. All the bolts have been removed and the two halves are moving but they won't come apart. It has something to do with the cam chain tensioner but I can't see what and the manual is useless.

Any help greatly appreciated,
KC     

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Splitting the crankcase and oil filter screen
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 05:55:26 AM »
The 400 oil screen doesn't need to come out to clean it  ;)
Have you removed the primary shaft ?

Offline AussieKC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 06:34:23 AM »
Hi Trigger, yes primary shaft is out. I'm trying to remove the whole oil screen body and not just the screen. It appears that the oil screen is just located by friction from an o-ring, maybe I'm not giving it enough force. I see on Julie's thread (the nurse) that there is a spring on the oil screen body but I don't have one on mine. Confused!

After a closer examination today there is some pitting in the crankshaft bearing so new bearings are the order of the day.

KC

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 06:53:07 AM »
These screen housings are a sod to get located with the spring, it is the plate in the sump pan that holds them in place. I have had some with no spring and have been glued in so, a little twist and pull.
As your primary shaft is out and all bolts are removed then, the cases should come apart  ;)

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 09:33:50 AM »
Unless some previous Muppet has glued the screen housing on, it should pull off quite easily. There is only an O ring which may cause a bit of friction but it shouldn't hold it on there too tight. And yes, there should be a spring, which pushes the whole body downwards to fit snug on the oil separation plate in the sump pan.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline AussieKC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 08:37:13 PM »
Thx Nurse Julie, much appreciated. Yes, the previous owner was a total muppet! Some of the ridiculous things that i've found make me want to give him a kick up the ass.

Thanks again

KC

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal