Author Topic: Noob  (Read 2454 times)

Offline thos 539

• View Profile
Noob
« on: July 30, 2008, 11:24:40 PM »
Hi every one.
My name is Tom...Thomas...Thos..called many things...and worse! I have in my possesion a 72 Honda cb 500/4,K1
I am cursed with the ownership of a BSA Plunger fitted with a 6T Triumph motor & KH 250 Kawasaki front end, & before all the purists come round to burn me at the stake...it was like that when I bought it !
I found the Honda for sale in the local magazine, it had been stored in a damp cellar in Sheffield for the past twenty five years. It was in boxes but all the brightwork was shot. I never intended to rush the restoration and didn't intend a pristine bike at the end , tidy & usable will do. I like the bike simply because it has survived, It is a UK bike & I am in the fourth year of ownership. I am amazed at the availability of spares for the "old" Honda range. I am just rebuilding the wheels on mine with new rims & spokes, I have had the spokes chromed as they retain that new look longer than the standard finish. I have run the motor on the bench with the coils wired up to a battery and the carbs piped up to a small tin containing petrol, sweet. I have always found that the worst part of the mechanical side on any restoration is the residue left in the carbs when the fuel goes stale and leaves a kind of varnish behind.I hope to be on the road next summer with the Honda.I left the ownership of the Suzuki TL1000R to the end as I'm not sure if I ride it, aim it ,or just hang on to it. Its a hell of a machine that was never developed to its full potential , a bit like the British bike industry, ooohh getting political .
Any way HI.
Tom

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Noob
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 05:09:55 AM »
lots available some unobtainium, you probably already sold Dave Silver your firstborn if the engine is out pull the sump pan and check condition of primary chain as it can, and does, eat into the main oil galleries

Offline Andy1976

• SOHC Member
  • '76 Honda CB750F1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 10:30:45 AM »
Welcome to the site mate  :)

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 11:37:33 PM »
Hello Tom, and welcome to the site  ;), cheers Mick.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 03:17:21 PM »
Hi Tom and welcome, must admit the CB500 still rings bells for me, remember when they first came out and riding my mate's, I had the CB750 at the time and was impressed with how light and well handling the 500 was.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline pae

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Phil's CB650 pages
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 12:01:43 PM »
Hi Tom, welcome to the site,