Author Topic: Did the machine shop wreck my hub? (now with working pics, hopefully)  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Winterfield

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
So I was struggling to get the rear wheel dampers out of the hub, as well as the bolts themselves, so rather than risk destroying the hub I handed it over to a local tuning and machine shop here in Edinburgh.

They were able to remove the bushings, but to do so they drilled into the hub from the back to get them out.

Have they ruined my hub? They assured me that it won't have affected the structure/performance.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 03:32:29 PM by Winterfield »

Online taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Did the machine shop wreck my hub?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 11:03:57 PM »
I think they have. That shouldn't be necessary because a proper machine shop would be able to get them out without drilling through. It's possible to burn the rubber out and chisel/split the metal sleeve without damaging the hub.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Winterfield

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 08:20:12 AM »
That's what I thought. I could have ruined the hub myself and saved £50.

Any chance of repair?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 08:45:36 AM »
Take it back to the machine shop and tell them to alloy repair the holes that they have made and tell them to skim the drum liner while they are at it  ;)

Just pulled a hub out of stock and though what they have done is not very professional, you can get away with those holes. You could insert the new bushes and apply some plastic weld to the inner hub.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 08:55:08 AM by Trigger »

Offline Winterfield

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 09:48:08 AM »
Thanks Trigger.

I have no intention of going back to that shop for any work, paid or unpaid. I had a bunch of other stuff I was going to ask them to do, but I'll show my opinion with my wallet.

My main concern is of the structural weakness of the hub caused by the holes. If it's unlikely to be a concern, I'll find someone to repair the holes and press on with these hubs.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 10:01:45 AM »
Nothing useful to add here - I'm just noting that in the original post, the photos aren't showing on my computer - just a "photo-sized" spacer with a little circled dash in it.  But others have replied, so I guess it's just me?

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 10:28:07 AM »
Nothing useful to add here - I'm just noting that in the original post, the photos aren't showing on my computer - just a "photo-sized" spacer with a little circled dash in it.  But others have replied, so I guess it's just me?

Nope same here
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 11:10:16 AM »
Yeah, me too!
1971 cb750 K1

Online taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 12:21:18 PM »
I couldn't see the original pics either, just replied to the description of the problem.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 02:52:22 PM »
I could see the pictures, but as oddjob,  clearer what's gone on with Trigg's view of other side.

I'd have tried it with a concrete expanding rawlbolt fixing.  Sized correctly and wound up inside the sleeve,  then use a slide hammer on it to drift out.

:)

Offline Winterfield

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 03:20:39 PM »
Updated with re-hosted pictures, apologies!

I really wish I had given it a go, but I was worried I'd do more damage than good.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 03:30:30 PM »
No pics for me to see either but now I’m replying, the pics show up in the lower previous posts - weird!  Anyhoo, at least they have left the strengthening webs in place - if they had been cut through I would have said it was scrap.  If you intend using it I would remove any burrs from Roger the bodger’s holes inside and out and leave a little radius on the edges to prevent ‘stress raisers’ where cracks can start.  If, however you decide not to use it, I might have a spare but not able to check for a week or so on my return.  Unfortunately it too will still have the metalastik bushes in.

Ian

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Did the machine shop wreck my hub? (now with working pics, hopefully)
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 06:46:20 PM »
F me did they try selling you a pound of sausages as well. There are loads of methods to try before resorting to that. No doubt time and cost became a factor. The soggy paper towel method is very effective on blind bearing /bush removal. I was shown this method over 40 years ago and have used it many many times. It even works on broken seloc/roll/spring pins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggsEewAg2YM

« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 06:47:52 PM by moorey »

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 06:50:14 PM »
Very odd way to resort to doing it like that...... not how I would have tried to do it. Sure I have removed a fair few over the years and never had to resort to that.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 07:06:50 PM »
The soggy paper towel method is very effective on blind bearing /bush removal. I was shown this method over 40 years ago and have used it many many times. It even works on broken seloc/roll/spring pins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggsEewAg2YM

Now this I gotta see!  To the internets, Robin!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal