Author Topic: Side Panel Confusion (For Me)  (Read 1315 times)

Offline bucksfizz

• 1973 CB750 Four K3
    • View Profile
Side Panel Confusion (For Me)
« on: May 23, 2019, 11:34:12 AM »
I'm new to Hondas in general, and the CB 750 in particular, even though I had a CB125S and CB360 back in the day.
My problem is the side panels that are currently fitted to my 1973 US spec. K3.
It would appear that the panels have had their badge indents filled in:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Also, the paint on the right side panel is very poor and lumpy:

Given what I have, I have some questions for the cognoscenti.
Is it worth keeping these panels, even though they're going to be painted?
I've done some searching on the forum, and the LPM panels are the ones to go for, should I decide to replace.
This site indicates that K1 - K6 panels are all the same, yet the K1 - K2 badges appear to be very different from those for K3 - K6.
I cannot see how K3 - K6 badges would fit the indents in these panels.
David Silver Spares indicates that K3 jewels are red, yet my investigations tell me that orange is the correct colour.
Which is correct?

Offline petermigreen

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Side Panel Confusion (For Me)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 04:24:58 PM »
Scan this page and search jewel.
http://honda750expert.com
may help.

Offline bucksfizz

• 1973 CB750 Four K3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 08:02:06 PM »
may help.

It looks like DSS is wrong, as honda750expert.com says:

Orange side cover diamond jewel = originally for 72-76.

Thanks!

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 08:31:57 PM »
In general if a sidepanel has been straightned out with plaster the only thing you can do with it is exchange it for a (new) pair where the fittings for the logos are still intact.

Maybe someone has a trick to get the plaster out without damaging the surrounding plastic.

Your right side panel is lumpy because the paint is getting loose. There is air under the paint.

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 09:19:49 PM »
Can't think of any simple way of getting filler to come off plastic. Metal..yes. Plastic..no.

It's also possible they have scored the surface to get it to stick better.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 10:35:03 PM »
Its not worth putting the effort in to remove the filler. Flog them on eBay and put the money towards LPM panels
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 07:17:36 AM »
may help.

It looks like DSS is wrong, as honda750expert.com says:

Orange side cover diamond jewel = originally for 72-76.

Thanks!

Sliver is listing the part as Genuine and fits the bike. He never says, it is original to the bike. Always be careful of listings like this  ;)

Offline bucksfizz

• 1973 CB750 Four K3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 10:05:50 AM »
In general if a sidepanel has been straightened out with plaster the only thing you can do with it is exchange it for a (new) pair where the fittings for the logos are still intact.

Maybe someone has a trick to get the plaster out without damaging the surrounding plastic.

Your right side panel is lumpy because the paint is getting loose. There is air under the paint.

Can't think of any simple way of getting filler to come off plastic. Metal..yes. Plastic..no.

It's also possible they have scored the surface to get it to stick better.

Its not worth putting the effort in to remove the filler. Flog them on eBay and put the money towards LPM panels

Many thanks for your replies, gents.
Being retired, I have time on my hands, so I was hoping that I could resurrect those old panels, and it wouldn't matter how long it took.
I'm just trying to keep the costs down, and for the first time I'm using a spreadsheet to track costs - it's frightening.
I've already been in touch with Karen at LPM, so it looks as though I'll be buying some new panels.

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 01:26:36 PM »
Just a thought and nothing to lose, but why not scrape the paint off around the emblem and soak the local area in thinners for a few days as it might just react with the filler and soften it enough to did it out?
1972 UK XL250 K0 Motosport
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 03:55:55 PM »
I had great fun with some side panels for my F1, Bought some on eBay and refurbished them, this was part way into the process, took ages to finish it but was worth it in  the end.

And finished, I did some as spares as well

Cheers

Dennis

1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 05:02:26 PM »
Oh dear, you have made a fatal restoration error........ Never compose a spreadsheet to keep track of costs, you'll give up when you realise how much you are spending and the bike will end up on ebay as 90% complete for peanuts 😯.
Best advice is to do what we all do, keep the various receipts in a folder where the o/h won't find them and when you have finished the restoration count up the cost but don't tell anyone otherwise you'll never restore anything else!
Delete the spreadsheet and just crack on, keep the updates and photo's coming and good luck with progress 👍.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline bucksfizz

• 1973 CB750 Four K3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 07:59:11 PM »
Oh dear, you have made a fatal restoration error........ Never compose a spreadsheet to keep track of costs, you'll give up when you realise how much you are spending and the bike will end up on ebay as 90% complete for peanuts 😯.
Best advice is to do what we all do, keep the various receipts in a folder where the o/h won't find them and when you have finished the restoration count up the cost but don't tell anyone otherwise you'll never restore anything else!
Delete the spreadsheet and just crack on, keep the updates and photo's coming and good luck with progress 👍.

I was thinking the same myself, but my three previous restorations had no limit spending, and I am now just curious.
As luck would have it, I don't need to justify any expenditure on my bikes, as my o/h and I have independent incomes - I spend what I like  :).
Will it end up on eBay even with the dreaded spreadsheet?
Probably not, as I'm a completer/finisher - I can't tolerate unfinished jobs.
Anyway, this is just the first phase: cleaning it up, and making sure everything works, which it doesn't, of course.
I have identified a couple of electrical gremlins, which I'll sort out when the parts arrive (one via my buddy in the US).
Cleaning and polishing are half-way through, and it's looking a lot better now:

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 09:10:40 PM »
Hahahahaha.........spreadsheets...........four years on and I'm £7K into my CB750K4....seeing as I only paid £480 for the wreck of a rusty nail in the first place, I could have bought a very nice CB750 four years ago and enjoyed some nice rides and plenty of polishing since.

If you think that's crazy......I'm just over 11 years into my 1970 T120R Bonneville....again a £500 wreck rescued from the US..........I stopped filling in the Spreadsheet on that one when I retired in 2015 as it was on my PC at work (I forgot to copy it TBH....but probably a good job I stopped then).

So what has that cost so far........£7K.......£9K.......£10K ? Keep going....and that doesn't include anything for my labour, consumables, tools, trawling t'internet, going to look at stuff, VAT, shipping, Import Duty, Rip Offs etc etc.

The downside of the Story........don't do spreadsheets ! The good part.......if you have an (expensive) hobby like an old bike/ car/ boat you won't have time (or money or energy) for affairs with wayward Lasses (or blokes) ! LOL.
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 10:01:05 PM »
But Alan, you have bought enough spare parts to build about 10 bikes so the expense probably isn't that bad.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline bucksfizz

• 1973 CB750 Four K3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 10:57:30 PM »
Total cost to date, which includes purchase price, shipping, and some parts yet to arrive, is £3,279.32.
I need to buy some side panels with jewel emblems, get them painted with the fuel tank.
That should come to less than £4K, and give me a ridable bike that will look reasonable.
Thereafter, I have to decide whether to do a full restoration.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal