Author Topic: Black piston ring (single)  (Read 771 times)

Offline Sprocket

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Black piston ring (single)
« on: June 02, 2019, 03:21:54 PM »
Any chance someone has a single (new) black piston ring i could buy? I have a cruzinimage standard size piston set, all went together ok but i ham-fistedly broke a black one when my feeler gauge slipped.  :(

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Black piston ring (single)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 09:19:52 PM »
Unfortunately can't help you with the piston ring. I'm still trying to work out what you were doing with the feeler gauge near the piston ring once fitted 🤔🤔🤔
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 09:29:12 PM »
What size engine is it for, not that i got any but might get you more help.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 07:18:47 AM »
Any chance someone has a single (new) black piston ring i could buy? I have a cruzinimage standard size piston set, all went together ok but i ham-fistedly broke a black one when my feeler gauge slipped.  :(
Whatever you do, don't email Cruzinimage asking for rings. I did just that about 12 months ago. I didn't get a reply and they blacklisted me on eBay, people asking questions are troublemakers. So now if I want to buy off them I have to order direct from their own website. Not completely bad as their website is cheaper than eBay. They are a really strange bunch of people. And while were at it, don't buy anything off them that has rubber components or gaskets, they are total shite.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Sprocket

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 08:12:05 AM »
Unfortunately can't help you with the piston ring. I'm still trying to work out what you were doing with the feeler gauge near the piston ring once fitted 🤔🤔🤔
They weren't 'fitted' at that point. Being very worried about splitting a ring, I was being really careful and used two to cover each of the ends of the ring as it went over the top gap, so it couldn't drop in where I didn't want it. (bit like this:
Then it slipped...

Offline Sprocket

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 08:15:08 AM »
Whatever you do, don't email Cruzinimage asking for rings. I did just that about 12 months ago. I didn't get a reply and they blacklisted me on eBay, people asking questions are troublemakers. So now if I want to buy off them I have to order direct from their own website. Not completely bad as their website is cheaper than eBay. They are a really strange bunch of people. And while were at it, don't buy anything off them that has rubber components or gaskets, they are total shite.
You won't believe this then, I asked a question on the ebay listing 'can I buy a ring, I've broken one' and they emailed me straight back. Total cost is £17, which waters my eyes a bit, but at least it'll be from the same supplier so I know what I'm getting. :D

Cheers all!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 08:39:14 AM »
If they are sending you a replacement ring, you will get one set and with the post is a good price. You should only put rings on shown in your picture if, it is a one part oil ring. Three part and the other two can be put on by hand  ;)

Offline Sprocket

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 10:07:08 AM »
I experimented. That was my problem. I got two pistons done by hand just fine. And then the 3 part oil scraper on number 3 was fine. Then I had the bright idea. ::) Then I did number 4 just fine without, too.
Thing is, you don't learn how rings break until you break one! If this project has taught me one thing it's to admit mistakes and learn. :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal