Author Topic: Registering an imported '72 Honda  (Read 3390 times)

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Registering an imported '72 Honda
« on: December 29, 2008, 11:53:27 AM »

Happy Christmas/New Year all.

I've just bought myself a late Christmas pressie - an imported and unregistered '72 CB450 (I know it's a DOHC - heresey, I hear you cry).  The upside is that the bike is in great condition - low miles (originally US), and apart from slightly faded paint, is pretty much complete.  The downside is that other than a dating certificate, there are no documents with it. 

I've had a look round the DVLA/HM Customs websites and have kinda got my head round the registration process, but I'm a little concerned about the import duty side of things.  There's lots of information about importing later bikes (particularly anything under 10 years old), but I can't see what the process is for older machines with unknown provenance.  I'll get a bill of sale from the dealer to prove ownership and I'm told that it came into the country through Germany, but again, there's nothing to confirm how reliable that information is.

Anyone had any experience of this kinda thing or know where I can find some answers (preferably online) - and have I just got myself into a costly bureaucratic nightmare?

Thanks for your help.

Neil

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Registering an imported '72 Honda
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 03:52:35 AM »
You have a problem in that you need a customs document to say duty has been paid or you will not be able to register it. If you want to call me on 07795162623 AFTER 8pm Sunday to Thursday inclusive i will try and give you some ideas on how to "cheat" NOTE:- Not Wed/Thurs this week for obvious, alcoholic, reasons

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 04:19:57 PM »

Thanks Bry

It's gonna take a week or so for it to arrive here, and I'm sure its gonna need work before its in any sort of state to start the registration process.  I'll give you a shout nearer the time (and when I know exactly what I'm dealing with).  It may be that I just register it with HMRC with the dealer being responsible for the import, but again, I'll know more in a few days.

It's all a bit sketchy right now 'cos I haven't seen the bike - I'm (stupidly/bravely) buying it from photos and a description . . . <keeps fingers crossed>

Regards

Neil

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 03:58:26 AM »
Sorry to dissapoint but HMRC aint that amenable unless you can give an EXACT point of entry to UK and a date. Say nowt to anybody ufficial till we talkes

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 01:16:28 PM »

Ah - OK.   :o

<keeps very quiet>

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 12:00:11 PM »
No Problem, I'm back in work Sunday night and if you ring me from a standard landline i will call back as my "tarrif" is odd, for want of a better word, have a good New Year. Bryan

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 12:57:07 PM »

Bryan

After the best part of a year's messing about, the bike is just about ready to be registered - but I still have your wise words ringing in my ears about caution with the HMRC side of the process.

Would you have any objection to my getting in touch by 'phone (or send a PM) so that I can pick your brains about what I needs to do?

In the meantime, this is (pretty much) what it looks like now . . .

Thanks again - and apologies for the radio silence.

Neil

Offline dave400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 07:03:16 PM »
Nice looking bike, hope the paperwork gets sorted.

Cheers

Dave

Offline pae

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Phil's CB650 pages
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 07:59:49 PM »
Nice looking bike, hope the paperwork gets sorted.

Cheers

Dave

Indeed, very nice, good luck with the bureaucrats!

Phil

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 09:22:25 AM »
No problem, contact number and times still the same.
Cheers Bryan

Offline ianmck

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 05:01:17 PM »
Neil, bike looks good, bryanj helped me sort out my imported K4 earlier this year, wise words, worked a treat, good luck.
Regards ianmck.
1977 400/4 supersport.   1973 cb750 K4,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal