Author Topic: Electrical help  (Read 720 times)

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
Electrical help
« on: August 19, 2019, 06:03:33 PM »
Am doing some testing relating to my misfiring issue and I need to run the bike using the Boyer system connected direct to the battery and no battery charging

What wires can I safely disconnect from the rectifier or regulator so I have no battery charging going on.  Haynes manual suggests never to run with the red/white wire feeding the battery from the rectifier
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: Electrical help
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 06:36:41 PM »
Disconnect the field coil wires. No charging will than happen.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 11:10:04 PM »
White wire at regulator

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 11:13:50 AM »
White wire at regulator

Perfect Thanks but a follow up question......................as always !!

Is there any chance of still getting a small charge current even with the field coils disconnected due to the small amount of residual magnetism in the rotor core?

Reason I ask is because I am still trying to chase down my intermittent after fire issue and am trying to isolate if there is any stray AC leaking back in to the system. I have checked rectifier by the way and all the diodes are fine.
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline peterengland

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 04:13:32 PM »
I recently had a misfiring issue, bike would be fine but after about 15 miles or so when it got hot it started to misfire, put it down to leads/caps/ coils breaking down but eventually misfired when idling so pulled off the leads one by one and when I took off no.1 - no difference so it was number 1 and was not coils or leads or caps as I switched them and it was the same. so looked at fuel and carbs, luckily can take bowl off the outside carbs so took off bowl, took out jets, nothing amiss at all, all clean and dandy but put it back together and has been perfect ever since! go figure....
Suzuki 50
Suzuki GT185
Honda CD175
Yamaha RD350
Honda 50 crunch box
Honda 400/4
Honda 550/4
Honda 750C

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 04:28:45 PM »
Never actualy tested for output with white disconnected but sombody on US site was saying they read mvolt ac at yellow leads when field disconnected so yes a tiny amount of residual but i would not think enough the get past diode.
Just pull the engine block connector as that will disconnect stator and field, ok oil and neutral as well but you are in testing mode.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal