Author Topic: Neutral switch  (Read 2158 times)

Offline daveh

• View Profile
Neutral switch
« on: January 19, 2009, 02:13:17 PM »
The neutral light comes on when on the move in 5th gear which gets very irritating. It works perfectly when stationary. If the switch is worn can it be replaced with the engine in situ, as it looks as if it could be a bit of pig to get out. Any ideas appreciated before I get stuck into something I might be better of putting up with.
thanks
Dave

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Neutral switch
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 02:17:42 PM »
What bike Dave?

The switch sits under the sprocket cover on the side of the engine. If the light comes on when not in neutral it means that the circuit is earthing so suspect a chaffed wire in the harness or a broken switch (check the wiring first).

The switch can be replaced; they just screw out (if anything can be said to "just screw out" on these old bikes...!!)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:17:11 PM by SteveD CB500F »
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline daveh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 02:32:42 PM »
Steve,
The bike is a 1970 CB750. the switch as very close to the frame restricting its get at ablility and there is nothing to get hold of except for the small screw holding the wire in place and its been in there since new. I think I will replace the wiring first.
Years ago I had a problem with the bike cutting out at 70mph but ran perfectly below that, it turned out to be wind pressure on a worn out ignition swtich took some finding maybe this is a similar problem.

Thanks
Dave.

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 03:15:20 PM »
If memory serves, the neutral switch on the 750 is on the underside it's held in by a metal tab and a screw, and I think it just pulls out, its a plunger type, originally I think there was a tool to remove it, because if you scrape away the crud there should be a couple of holes that you can get a pair of fine nosed pliers into.

Then just twist and gently pull.
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 05:58:01 PM »
Had the same problem on the F1, even replaced the switch, in the end I just put some tape over the light, when I rebuilt the bike I found a frayed wire under the engine, replaced it and it's been OK ever since. To remove it just take out the bolt and clip, and pull it out, no oil should follow it (mine didn't).

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal