Author Topic: battery drain  (Read 718 times)

Offline adriangsmith

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
battery drain
« on: August 28, 2019, 07:56:43 AM »
Hi All,
I have an issue with my 400/4 where the battery will become discharged if left unused for more than 3 days.
Brand new motobatt battery, aftermarket regulator/rectifier fitted.
Good voltage from regulator when running.
Not sure where to start looking!
Any ideas?
Triumph Thruxton 2004
Honda CB750F1 1976
Honda CB400F   1976 (current project)

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: battery drain
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 08:11:08 AM »
If you're not using it as a daily hack, charge the battery, but take it off the bike, and see if it still discharges. Sadly motobatt products are not as good as they used to be, and just because something is new, it can still be duff.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline adriangsmith

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 08:20:10 AM »
Thanks Hairy
pretty much used every day apart from a couple of days a week or over the weekend.
Did the same with previous lucas battery.
May splash out on a new loom and fuse box in case a short has developed somewhere.
Connected to optimate charger but never seems to reach full charge on the bike.
Also had issues when riding that despite good voltage out of the regulator after 30 miles of hard riding if it cuts out the battery will not have enough power to turn the electric start.
Triumph Thruxton 2004
Honda CB750F1 1976
Honda CB400F   1976 (current project)

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 08:28:45 AM »
Is the battery voltage actually running down, or are the starter brushes worn/sticking? Are all earth's clean and tight? If the frame is powder coated, was it scraped away where the heavy earth lead attaches to the frame?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 08:29:05 AM »
Disconnect the main lead from starter solenoid down to starter motor and assess it like that,  you'll have to kickstart it though.

Edit:- this test is trying to remove the function of the starter solenoid as it could be both causing drain and resistance that won't fully power the starter motor when asked.

If you've got an ammeter you can disconnect the main positive battery lead and put the meter across between the lead and battery terminal which will tell you if it's drawing current when all is switched off. That's a seperate test from above.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 08:47:42 AM by K2-K6 »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 12:32:05 PM »
If you haven’t got a multimeter...
(As you noted... the ‘400 fuse holder can indeed be the problem...)
On a dead bike, ie ignition off, lights off etc, when you disconnect / reconnect the battery you shouldn’t get any spark - small or otherwise. If you do get any kind of spark... there is indeed a small short / earth leak somewhere.
So... assuming there is a wee spark at battery connect..
Keep the bike ‘dead’.
Then pull all 3 fuses, and replace singly, reconnecting the battery to check for tiny spark ... to narrow down which fused circuit is the culprit. Assuming you can narrow it to one circuit, then, using a circuit diagram disconnect items singly... eg coils, starter solenoid, horn, left indicator blah blah ... and so on until that wee spark returns at battery connect.
Then check / clean the offending wiring / connections / earth etc.
Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 12:34:52 PM by Lobo »

Offline SteveW

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 06:27:45 PM »
Motobatt batteries are a pain in the arse. I have had a couple replaced under warranty on my Fireblade.

If they go flat they never seem to fully recover afterwards.

The only way to use one successfully is to have one connected to a trickle charger when not in use.
1974 CB550 K0
1980 CB650
2000 CBR929RR Fireblade
1966 Lambretta LI150 Series 3
1981 RD350LC
1972 Raleigh Chopper
1974 Raleigh Tomahawk
2011 Henry Hoover

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 08:07:58 PM »
Different story with Motobatt for me, used them extensively over the past five years or so on a variety of bikes and found them to be first class, holding a charge for long periods when unused and spinning a cold engine over reliably every time.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal