Author Topic: Retapping spark plug hole  (Read 897 times)

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Retapping spark plug hole
« on: December 28, 2019, 02:40:15 PM »
This morning I washed the bike and it couldn't start....oh well after a while I remove some spark plugs to inspect and clean, and for whatever reason I started the bike again. Alas, not before this ham fisted yokel stripped some of the thread in the right side spark plug hole, only about 30% of the spark plug is screwed in so there won't be any unnecessary riding. Will the workshop be able to retap the thread without pulling the top end off first?   
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline bobv7

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Retapping spark plug hole
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 02:45:16 PM »
That can be done with a well greased tap, or you could try cutting some vertical slots in an old spark plug and try to reform the damaged section yourself. Plugs are best fitted by hand to start with so there's less chance of cross threading.

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 03:14:02 PM »
In the past. I have used a expanding thread tap with great success.
Grease it first. Then insert it into the plug hole. Expand it to suit the remains of the original thread. Then turn the thread tap. Out it comes bringing any debris with it. Because it cuts on the way out. Unlike a conventional thread tap.

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 03:16:48 PM »
I have just checked.
The tool is a. Reverse action thread tap. From Sealey tools.

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 03:38:08 PM »
Did the same thing on a car engine 38 years ago and bought this tool to run down and reclaim some thread using plenty of grease to catch any swarf created.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
  • 2001 R1, Triumph 1200 and the little 400/4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 07:27:57 PM »
Any thread repair without removing the head has to be taken as a one stop attempt to reclaim the ally, but it is possible as previously said by others.

I cross-threaded my one of the heads on my CX500 many years ago and the plug literally fired-out when the bike started.
I took a plug and hacksawed a slot down the threaded shank, cleaned all the swarf off and used it to act as a taper-thread, with plenty of grease.

Yes, it worked and I did thousands more miles with that re-cut thread, but I always had to 'oil' the new plug on that head when i replaced plugs at service time.
The thread was 'tight' and I didn't have the funds back then to do the job correctly or worse-pay someone else to (us engineers are generally resourceful but certainly not wealthy)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 07:58:58 PM »
Back in the 70's fitted many helicoils without removing heausing well greased drill and tap.
Always gave customer the option of removing engine and head  as should be done or cheaper way as described on principle that if any alloy swarf did go in and need clearing out it would not damage anything and cost no more total than having engine out first.
Out of all the ones we did we only had to take one engine out and found that one had shattered the rings anyway

Offline bobv7

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 12:17:41 AM »
I find smear of Coppaslip or similar on the threads when refitting plugs helps reduce the chance of thread problems, as does not over tightening. ;)

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 10:52:29 PM »
I got lucky, the mechanic at the workshop I usually use fixed it for free!  :D Maybe he is preserving relations?   ;)
I brake for animals!

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 12:17:08 PM »
I got lucky, the mechanic at the workshop I usually use fixed it for free!  :D Maybe he is preserving relations?   ;)
Is his name Norman Bates as he did that as well  ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 03:03:29 PM »

Well...he looked a bit like this with an east european accent!
I brake for animals!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal