Author Topic: keihin pd41b  (Read 819 times)

Offline blackeagles

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
keihin pd41b
« on: January 05, 2020, 01:41:51 PM »
Anyone taken these apart?

Its not fair to say that I have to do this but as its now got a sticking float im toying with the idea of taking the whole thing off yet again and replacing (with second hand)  the throttle link bit – the plate where the cable nipple fits into and opens the throttle – as half of one of the tangs is missing and maybe replace the choke cam as well since it seems a bit worn.

Watching a demo on the internet it seems rather complicated for me, especially as I have never worked on one of these before other than to take the float bowls off!!

Offline Erny

• CB750K7 CB550K1
  • SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: keihin pd41b
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 01:56:03 PM »
Well, I plan to do the same and did before.. Good luck!
CB750K7 US model (1977)
CB550K1 US model (1975)

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 11:34:09 PM »
PD carbs are horrible, fiddly and a damn nusance. Dont know anybody who likes doing them.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 07:41:55 AM »
I had two goes at mine and just could not get the bike to run properly. In the end I sent them to Matt Harper in Cheshire to rebuild them correctly. The bike has been spot on since. Don't mind doing carbs but these PD things are a pain. For instance, there are air vents on the sides of the carbs that nowhere I have seen even mentions, but if these get blocked (which they do) the bike runs like shite. I'm not his agent but here's his email. Well worth the cost.

sales@harpers-ultrasonic.com
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline blackeagles

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 10:42:52 AM »
ok, I think its "don't do it unless you have to" as the message.  thanks for the email, matt is a great guy to talk to and very helpful.

Offline kthree

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 09:03:04 PM »
I've had a go at this recently and didn't find it too daunting. I bought all new seals and gaskets from Mike Nixon @ motorcycle project and a small ultrasonic cleaner from a local car parts store. I only used genuine honda parts ( float needle valve and seats) most other parts can simply be cleaned, as they don't actually wear out. I kept all parts in a compartment box so each item went back to the same carb, used JIS screwdrivers only, and took a slow, methodical approach.

Yes, there is a small vent hole on the side of the carb bodies which I found while throttle cleaner fluid and running compressed air through all vents and jet openings - you ensure it's clear this way. Carbs are now clean and ready to go. BUT, I've yet to fit them and see if or how they run!

Fingers crossed!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal