Author Topic: Rear master cylinder  (Read 900 times)

Offline brodsord

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Rear master cylinder
« on: January 11, 2020, 06:58:25 PM »
Hi everyone,
I have a cb750f2 build on the go at the moment,
Bought as a rolling frame and a box of bits. Been slowly putting her back together and one of the scores of bits missing was rear master cylinder.
Managed to find one in the states needing overhaul.
I’ve drilled the old piston out but managed to balls it all up by drilling the first part of the cylinder to wide so piston rubber has to much play.
Has anyone got any solutions for this problem?
Is it possible to get the cylinder bored out slightly bigger then a new sleeve inserted and welded at that the top ?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Rear master cylinder
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 09:24:29 PM »
Technicaly yes, practicaly i think it would be incredibly expensive. On a CBX 550 i had i managed to fit one of the £10 ish rear scooter ones you see on ebay by using a smsll adaptor plate, worked fine. 372872030569 is one ebay number
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 09:27:26 PM by Bryanj »

Offline brodsord

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 09:28:42 PM »
Technicaly yes, practicaly i think it would be incredibly expensive. On a CBX 550 i had i managed to fit one of the £10 ish rear scooter ones you see on ebay by using a smsll adaptor plate, worked fine.
It is pal, there’s a new unit on eBay at present in Germany for just under £400 just can’t justify spending that so may go just fit one of the cheap Chinese copy’s, I’ve got a couple here just need to make a bracket as you mentioned.
Thanks

Offline kettle738

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 08:55:30 PM »

Send a photo of the unit and the damage to past parts   http://www.pastparts.co.uk/

They bore out and re sleeve master cylinders in stainless steel and return them with the original bore size, so depending on where and what the damage is, it might not matter.....you have nothing to lose by asking.

Incidentally, the price to re sleeve my XS2 master cylinder was £45 plus Vat and return postage.

Mick.

Offline brodsord

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 08:56:53 PM »

Send a photo of the unit and the damage to past parts   http://www.pastparts.co.uk/

They bore out and re sleeve master cylinders in stainless steel and return them with the original bore size, so depending on where and what the damage is, it might not matter.....you have nothing to lose by asking.

Incidentally, the price to re sleeve my XS2 master cylinder was £45 plus Vat and return postage.

Mick.
Mick that’s fantastic I’ll check them out now, thanks so much

Offline kettle738

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 10:05:10 PM »

No guarantees of course, but I hope it works for you....they do motorcycle cylinders, so provided there is nothing exceptional or unusual or the damage is in the wrong spot I would hope they can do it for you......I'd be interested to know how you get on.

Mick.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 02:29:05 PM »
Thanks for sharing this Mick. I had no idea there was someone still in the UK doing this.

Offline brodsord

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 08:11:31 PM »

No guarantees of course, but I hope it works for you....they do motorcycle cylinders, so provided there is nothing exceptional or unusual or the damage is in the wrong spot I would hope they can do it for you......I'd be interested to know how you get on.

Mick.
Hi Mick,
Just like to thank you for recommending past parts.
Just received the cylinder back this morning, I made a right balls of it so they had do a sleeve within a sleeve, I’ve fitted it this evening and it’s all good.
The guys there were really helpful and it was a reasonable price they charged.
It came back looking brand new

Offline kettle738

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 09:17:44 PM »

Wow!.......it looks like they can work wonders........I still haven't sent them my XS2 cylinder because a spare turned up, but looking at that, perhaps I should..........very glad it worked out for you.

Mick.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal