Author Topic: swinging arm bushes  (Read 2162 times)

Offline bikerburke

• View Profile
swinging arm bushes
« on: April 01, 2009, 12:01:30 AM »
hi ,im sending off my frame and swinging arm for powder coating but before i do i want to replace the swinging arm bushes,ive already tried drifting one out its moved about 3mm after  an hour ,any tips to get them out easy and back in after.Thanks mick
1972/3 cb500 ,shed to cafe racer in10 easy steps i hope :)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: swinging arm bushes
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 04:56:38 AM »
use a loose hacksaw blade carefully to cut a slot so it will collapse.
Also buy new collar as well as bushes as it wears more than bushes

Offline bikerburke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 11:31:17 PM »
Thanks Brianj did as you said used a hacksaw came out no probs ,swine to get new ones back in tho,used new felt seal and collar and outer cap.the spindle was quite tight going back in  i had to ease the leading edge of the bush with some fine wet and dry.thanks mick

MIKE550/4

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 08:15:13 PM »

had mine powder coated first, before i put this swingarm back on how did you check the bushes , ie the swing arm bush itself and the suspension bush, is it worth doing anyway while its apart,

also mine is already powder coated would i do much damage to coating do you think replacing them

mike

Offline bikerburke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 10:36:07 PM »
hi,i had already checked for play  prior to coating with the swinging arm in the frame and there was play moving it side to side,even when the swing arm was out i could feel the play if i was you id replace them any way.the bushes had not arrived prior to coating so i had to replace them after, to replace the bushes i placed one end of the swinging arm on a block of wood i then put a bush into position on the other end ,i used a piece of alloy plate on the bush and drove it in flush with the swinging arm,to drive it in fully to swing arm i used a socket the same width as the bush.turn the arm over and repeat. i took my time and made sure the bush was square going in the only thing i had to do was clean up the leading  edge on the bush,and no damage to the coating.Also i had my frame,swing arm and fairing mount done local  for
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 12:40:56 PM by bikerburke »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal