Author Topic: Easist way to fit engine  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Easist way to fit engine
« on: April 13, 2009, 06:38:55 PM »
I have the frame back from coating and will have the engine finished in a week or so. Does anyonr have a good method for fitting the engine back into the frame?
Thought about laying the engine on its side and laying the frame over it. (Nothing attached to frame at the moment, so spomething like this could work.
Hopefully someone with experience could advise.

Cheers

Seamus

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Easist way to fit engine
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 06:46:30 PM »
That's the way CMM's Rod Gibson did it with his resto as I recall, works well, easyer than lifting a full engine into a chasis
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 02:05:02 PM »
I've tried both ways, engine on floor and lower frame and engine into upright frame, got the engine lodged in the frame both ways.

For me the easiest method was to wrap strips of an old towel to the bits of the frame most likly to get damaged and tie them up with zip ties, get a friend to help me lift the engine in and resting on the lower tubes (protected by the towels).

I then used a car sissor jack to raise the engine at the back and fitted the mounting bolt then do the same for the front.

Be careful as it's dead easy to get the engine stuck at an angle.
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 11:37:35 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
One of my thoughts was to use some pipe insulation on the frame tubes prior to installing the engine. (like the towels idea).
I have not got any experience of this and I appreciate the views of folk that have done this job

Thanks Again

Seamus

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 07:08:14 AM »
Dont mater how you do it its a real PIA cos that lump is HEAVY

Offline DuoDave

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 04:14:53 AM »
I fully agree that it is a pig of a job however you do it, but if you have a bare frame, I would get the engine on it's side and lower the frame over it. A 20 odd pound frame is easier to handle than a 170 pound engine.

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 12:16:33 PM »

Agree with all of the above, adding that whichever way you do the job, two sets of hands always makes it a whole lot easier.

I used strips of lino - that floor covering stuff - and zip ties bought in bulk from ScrewFix instead of towels.  Lino's cheap, easy to cut to size, doesn't snag and is tough enough not to tear if it gets clipped by the engine casing.  Cardboard works pretty well, too.

If you've got a bare frame, drop it over the engine.  But again, two sets of hands.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 12:45:12 PM »
Thanks again people.
There was always going to be two pairs of hands as I needed help to get the motor out. I will use some of the above suggestions and see which method works for me.
Appreciate the input
Seamus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal