Author Topic: Exhaust Headers  (Read 570 times)

Offline Oggers

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Exhaust Headers
« on: March 10, 2020, 02:33:15 PM »
Dilemma here for which I think I know the answer if I wanted to do it properly! However, allow me to explain. As with doubtless many others, the exhaust header pipes on the inner bends were pitted and corroded - especially on the inner radii(?) towards the top portion of the header. The rest of the header is in pretty good nick, as is the collector and the silencer.

What I have done so far is this.

Taken an abrasive polycarbide type wheel to remove the surface corrosion and lessen the pits
Took it all back further with 400 wetand dry, then 800, then finish with 1200 to remove any scratches
Bit more with polishing mop and abrasive block
Final finish with T-cut and Autosol.

It's not perfect, but many times better, but of course what I have done in the areas of corrosion is remove the protective chroming - not that there was much there anyways. Appearance wise, not quite the miror finish of the chrome, but again, not too bad. I guess the ideal solution is a rechrome, but its pricey and inconvenient.

Therefore

Anything else I could do to improve the finish?
Anything I can do to protect the now unprotected steel - apart from not ride in the rain! Bearing in mind it does get blinking hot of course - and don't say paint it. 

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
  • 2001 R1, Triumph 1200 and the little 400/4!
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust Headers
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 05:45:59 PM »
I had the same issue when I bought my bike for £595 10 years ago-Quite apart form it being a non-runner-(carbs) it was looking very tired and neglected.

The exhaust system was the original and rusty in the same places as yours-I was a bit more aggressive than you and used a wire-cup but the chrome was long gone and the result a lot better that when I started! But, it wasn't chrome and on a bored day-Id polish it with Solvo and it would look like chrome!

Then I saw my brothers 400/4 and thought I better do something with having gone through the 'get it re-chromed' hurdle-I bit the bullet and bought a replica from DSS for about £350 form memory.

Happy days! Few would notice the clamps and single-wall-except as the years have ticked by, its blued a bit and yellowed...straw etc. But I was very happy with it. Took a long afternoon to fit though, but it was one of his first and I think they are a better fit now.

Offline Oggers

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 08:29:24 AM »
Visually mine will suffice for now. It had only really gone on a couple of the header pipes - about an inch long by 1/4 inch area on each. Trouble is I am sorting the rest of the bike, and as such, it may present a bit of an eyesore when everything else is brought up to scratch. I too may bite the bullet, but I would far rather rechrome than buy anew. 

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 08:53:35 AM »
i had  1 and a half sets of downpipes but they were beyong saving. i agree, get the rest of the bike sorted- Mine was 2 years back together when I bought the DSS set. It depends what standard of  finish you are comfortable with- I had difficulty finding someone in Kent to re-chrome them without all sorts of caveats and objections..Youd have thought i was doing them a favour!

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 03:07:26 PM »
Im sure the Firm I spoke to estimated my dress and re-chrome at between £400-600- They were Ashford Kent. Around the same time, someone reported a BN exhaust system had sold to a Japanese buyer for £2k...which is somewhat ironic considering it came from there.
Considering my bike cost me £595...I didnt bid on it!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal