Author Topic: front brake  (Read 1956 times)

Offline bikerburke

• View Profile
front brake
« on: April 21, 2009, 11:14:23 PM »
hi guys Ive updated my front brakes to twin disc using new pistons/seals, goodridge braided brake lines ,new banjo bolts and washers all calipers have been stripped and cleaned and I'm using a VF750L RC36 master cylinder,the problem i have is spongy brakes Ive gone thru the forums and done all methods i can to solve the problem.my query is can you get air drawn into the system from the master cylinder seals with out there being a fluid leak? thanks bikerburke PS i have ordered a service kit for the master in case it is this
1972/3 cb500 ,shed to cafe racer in10 easy steps i hope :)

Offline bikerburke

• View Profile
Re: front brake
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 09:56:19 PM »
Spongy brakes sorted,after using two bottles of fluid to bleed the brakes and still no joy,i went thru every manual and parts filches i could get and found no reference to the plastic washers that came with the new brake shoes and were fitted between the caliper piston and brake pad.today i removed these and instantly had a solid feel at the brake lever,the only reason i can think of removing them helped it allowed more fluid into the caliper body because the pads with washers had the pisons right back into the caliper therefore no room for fluid.any way its a result ,anybodies thoughts on this? bikerburke
1972/3 cb500 ,shed to cafe racer in10 easy steps i hope :)

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 07:04:55 AM »
Interesting.

I believe that those were fitted to stop brake squeal, although over the years many got lost (and they don't come with the pads).

Bryan?
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 12:41:32 PM »
Ive no idea why Honda fitted them, you got a new one if you bought genuine Honda pads(who could afford that!) and I have run with and without with no problems.

I can see some logic in being easier to bleed if the caliper volume is bigger so air can "settle out" to the bleeder but you should then be able to re-fit the washer and have the same feel

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal