Author Topic: Help Cb750  (Read 1800 times)

Offline gazadi

• View Profile
Help Cb750
« on: May 08, 2009, 05:36:42 PM »
Firstly i have had my cb750 for about three years and have only just found this forum.

Mine is a chopper and it has a electric starter on it but i want to wire this up so i can use this is this a simple job ?
As at present it can be a b%*%*%d to start with a kick start.

How can i find out what model it is as all i have is the engine number B750GE 1003238.
If anyone has a photo of the stating motor with wires that would be very helpful.
And could it be possible to use this on a button start??

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Help Cb750
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 10:50:55 PM »
Is it a single cam or double cam model?

Offline hector2800

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 11:32:37 AM »
thats a cb750 f2 sohc engine. I think.
Go on you know you want to

Offline gazadi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 10:30:15 AM »
Yah it is a SOHC.
But what i want to do is connect the starting motor up so i cantstart off the button as it is difficult to start with the kick start.
The starting motor is fitted and there is one wire to it that is live but there is no earth so is this require or will the starting motor earth out on the engine?.and how can i wire a button in to it??

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 12:50:43 PM »
The starter motor draws BIG amps from the battery and has a thick wire connected to it.

This thick wire goes to the battery via the starter solenoid which switches the power when you press the button on the 'bars. The motor is earthed via the engine cases.

You can test the starter motor without a solenoid by simply connecting the thick wire to the +ve battery terminal while the motor is fitted (don't try this without the motor screwed down!)

The wire from the starter switch grounds the contact on the solenoid which then closes the high current circuit.

Hope this is clear - can't draw on here! (where's the "back of an envelope" feature when you need it?)
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 10:57:33 PM »
There are relays available from vehicle wiring products / custom fastners and a few others that dispence with the seperate starter button by having one built in on the top of the relay. Look really easy to connect up, 2 x 8 mil copper bolts on the top, one to attach the heavy lead from the starter motor to, one to the positive battery terminal via another piece of heavy cabling. The relays are cylindrical and about 2 - 3 inches long by 1.5 inch diameter I'd say and need mounting in a fairly pernament manner as they spark a lot if they can hit anything thats earthed on the bike (and that's just about everything)
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline gazadi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 08:08:50 PM »
All cheers for the info about the starter will try that later, but now i have but new battery on fully chargered and i was kicking it of and it is firing but now for some reason it is melting the fuse (25amp) blade fuse so any ideas what this could be caused by
Cheers in advance.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal