Author Topic: thottle cables  (Read 3508 times)

Offline Andy1976

• SOHC Member
  • '76 Honda CB750F1
    • View Profile
thottle cables
« on: May 12, 2009, 10:54:15 AM »
I've bought new cables for my F1 but when I turn the front wheel left or right they stick open. It's fine when the wheel is facing forward.
Any help appreciated as always

Andy

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: thottle cables
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 12:08:27 PM »
Sounds like a routing problem. Are the cables being caught by the tank preventing them from moving. I guess they are the same length as the ones that you replaced.

Raise the tank and see if that sorts the problem.

Good luck

Seamus

Offline Andy1976

• SOHC Member
  • '76 Honda CB750F1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 12:44:56 PM »
Hi Seamus. I've not put the tank on yet, so maybe i've routed them incorrectly. From the twist grip, they pass behind the headlamp bracket,then underneath the fame tube that the tank sits on, then linked up to the carbs.
Checked them agaist the old cables, they're the same length.
Thanks
Andy

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 09:30:29 PM »
Is there a shorter route? Not sure if the manual shows the cable routing, some do. Do you have a proper (not Haynes) manual?

Offline Andy1976

• SOHC Member
  • '76 Honda CB750F1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 05:33:52 PM »
Hi Seamus,
I've only got the Haynes manual, I find it a bit short on detail in some areas.
I'm going to try and re-route the cables to see if it improves any.
I've put a drop of oil down them and cleaned out the twist grip as it was gunked up.

Andy

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 11:17:39 PM »
Have a look on the US SOHC site, there is lots of info there

http://www.sohc4.net/index.php?title=TechLibrary

Have a look at the info here. I would expect that the K series would have the same routing as the F1

Also you should be able to get a manual from

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Moto/CB/CB750-F1/

I hope it shows a routing picture, but if not you have a decent manual.

Looking at the only picture that I have of my K1, the cables go up the spine of the frame (between the three tubes) and one goes one side of the steering head and I think the other goes on the opposite side. The front cable goes to the right side of the steering head. Not sure if that will help or not.

Cheers
Seamus

Offline Andy1976

• SOHC Member
  • '76 Honda CB750F1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 06:28:43 PM »
I've been messin with these cables this aft, and no matter what I do they stick. I connected the cable that opens the the throttle up and this works fine, everything feels smoothe and it returns when I release the twist,but as soon as I connect the other cable it sticks in the open position. I've tried to route it in all sorts of positions. It maybe the cable itself, so I might put the old one back on to see if there is a difference.

Andy

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 09:06:09 PM »
Pain in the butt that one. Does the sticky cable feel free off the bike? Could it be over adjusted?

Is it possible that it is the grip itself, with some sort of sticking point for the cable where it goes through the clamp or guide?

Offline Sprunghub

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 09:54:19 PM »
Not much help, I guess, I've just taken the carb set which came with the bike off.....a Kawasaki Keihn CV set up I think ? & replaced it with the original set.   I didn't really have a guide & through trial & error ended up with the 'pull' cable to the left of the headstock (sitting on the tank) & the 'push' cable to the right, both running parallel to the centre bar....I was surprised at the 'resistance' on the slide set up compared to the previous diaphraghm (sp?) rig.

Mind you, I haven't actually ridden it anywhere yet ! just sitting, taking down & tweaking & prepping for Test. 
The current stable,
76, CB750 F1
83, FT500
89, VTR250
78, CB125T

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 10:53:43 AM »
Hi Andy, on my f1 i have routed mine from the twist grip, over the head light bracket behind the headlight bucket to the left handside of the frame then over the top of the tank mount then down between the frame rails to the carbs, its all about long curves no tight ones,  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline Andy1976

• SOHC Member
  • '76 Honda CB750F1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 02:39:22 PM »
Thanks for the help guy's problem sorted.
It was in the twist grip, not cleaned out properly

Andy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal