SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

1977 CB750 F2 Super Sport Rebuild

<< < (3/5) > >>

chrisbmxr:
Update 15.5.20

Hello! First of all, thanks for all the help so far! There really is a wealth of information here.

On Boris Johnson's orders, a few more weeks at home have meant good progress on getting the CB running! I even let her enjoy some sunshine!

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Apologies for the late update … I've been either in the garage or trying to keep a 3 year old entertained!!!

So, I'll summarise the progress since the last update …

I managed to clean up the carbs. All jets are clear and I've cleaned the bowls. I also rebuilt the accelerator pump as the diaphragm was hard and brittle. After reading every bit of info I could find (and then some) I decided it was a good idea to check the function of the accel pump before refitting the carbs. The new diaphragm gave a good squirt of water when tested assembled in the bowl … but I had a blockage in the nozzle of carb no. 2. Plenty of perseverance on cleaning the nozzles (and STP carb cleaner) later and all 4 were squirting as they should! New seals and gaskets and the carbs were rebuilt.

Fuel tank cleaned! It turned out that the tank was in pretty good condition, with just a few mild spots of rust. SO I decided to use a less aggressive method of cleaning and went for Bilt Hamber DeoxC. This worked really well! I would highly recommend it. The inside is now looking nice and clean. I also cleaned the filler cap and chain whilst doing it.

Oil has been replaced. I drained the old oil from the crankcase, oil tank and filter assembly over a couple of days. New oil filter has been fitted and new oil put in. I put a very small amount of oil in to the inspection holes at the top.

Engine turned over by hand. Spark plugs out, I very nervously leant against the kick start with my hand … half expecting it not to move, half expecting it to feel horrible. I'm very happy to say it turned over nice and smooth. Very pleased!

Electrics checked. I fitted the new battery and tried the electrics … everything seems just fine! Every single bulb is working as it should! Horn works. Indicators flash (accompanied by a rather annoying buzzer. Do they all have these? If it's 'Honda' it stays. If not it's going!). Starter motor also works well (tried with the plugs out after refilling with fresh oil).

Next steps:
Set and fit the spark plugs … fit the tank and put fresh fuel in and see if she wants to start!

Nurse Julie:
The buzzer is an American model thing.... I'm not sure if it can be disconnected, other than with a club hammer 😁😁😁😁

Bryanj:
Julie, buzzer was everywhere not just US but Honda UK sent out an unoficial request via reps to disconect them as they sounded like the old pelican crossings

Moorey:
Buzzer  mine sounds more like a strangled cat but at least the indicators don't  get left on. Other makes had them as well back then.

Spitfire:
One of the first things I did when I bought my F1 was to remove the buzzer.

Cheers

Dennis

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version