SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

1977 CB750 F2 Super Sport Rebuild

<< < (2/5) > >>

royhall:
I wouldn't be having a go yourself unless you have experience of carbs. The carbs on an F2 need to be done perfectly or you wont ever get it running correctly. For instance, there is a vent on the side of the carb bodies that needs cleaning, if you miss it the bike runs like crap. The only person I have ever seen mention this vent is me as nobody appears to be aware of it. You can also experience problems with the accelerator pump mechanism. Just one of the many pitfalls of PD carbs. I would contact this guy,  sales@harpers-ultrasonic.com  The guy is superb with these carbs and wont rip you off, plus he will do any standard from a simple clean to a full renovation. You will be glad you did. Cheers, and best of luck with the rebuild looks like a gud un.

Rob62:
I like it.... is it a USA model, I’m looking at the vin plate on the headstock, UK bikes don’t have one if I’m correct....? Not that theres owt wrong with a USA bike, its likely to be in better nick than a UK model... mine is a USA model.  Clean out the oil tank before refilling, turn over the motor on the starter before firing up to make sure the oil pressure light goes out....  test the compression before trying to start, run it on the starter for five seconds with throttle held wide open... you should see 150 psi give or take...they should all be the roughly the same... If you can, take off the tappet covers and shine a light in there to see if you can see fresh oil coming up into the head.. If all looks good you should be ok to try and fire her up.. Good luck with it!  8)

chrisbmxr:
Update 5.5.20

First of all, thanks for all the comments and advice.

Yesterday I decided to see what horrors lay waiting inside the carbs, and I was actually pleasantly surprised! There was plenty of varnish, but in general the insides were in pretty good condition. All jets seem to be as they should. I also manages to free the 2 stuck slides which had been 'varnished' shut with the help of the wife's hair dryer. Once they were heated they slowly slid out without much force at all! Very happy! I then used STP carb cleaner to remove the varnish from the metal parts and give them a good clean. I do think they would benefit from a complete service so I have reached out to Harpers for that (thanks for the recommendation Roy).

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Next on the list of things to tackle is the petrol tank. I have to say, when I cleaned the 20 years of dust off the tank, the original candy presto red colour in the sunlight is stunning! Though there are a couple of minor blemishes to the paint work I may need to remedy at a later date.

The main issue is … rust. Pics are attached. I am undecided how to tackle tis. I know some people recommended the POR15 sealer kit, and others steer clear from sealing and use an acid. Any advice in this area is welcomed! My main concern with the sealer is the horror stories I've heard of it going wrong, or even peeling apart at a later date. Again, maybe I should just take the plunge and give it a go! Also there is a small dent in the front of the tank which I may try and get removed using PDR, but I wouldn't be able to do this once the inside is sealed.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Trigger:
Do not use any type of sealer, it will fail over time. The problem with any sealer is: the tank has to be spotless inside for it to bond and if it is spotless then, there is not point whatsoever in trying seal it  ;)

royhall:
The tank doesn't look too bad. Just give it a good clean it will be fine. As Graham says a liner is really for when you have no other options. If your worried about debris getting into the carbs fit an inline filter for a few months and see what it collects.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version