Author Topic: cb550 k3. Fitting those carbs. Any tips?  (Read 368 times)

Offline nairb

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
cb550 k3. Fitting those carbs. Any tips?
« on: May 06, 2020, 01:50:37 AM »
Hello. I have owned my cb550 k3 from new.  I have had the carbs off maybe twice during that time.  The bike has been apart for a significant restoration/re-build.  After 45000 miles it needed new rings and the frame + all those other bits have been powder coated .  They had finally become well scruffy.
So Its just about all back together.  New tyres & battery + other consumables - even the brake hose needed changing.
So the carbs have been fuel tested and finally no leaks. Now to put the carbs back on the bike..... almost the last job.
How did they do this in the factory.  Did they "lean" the engine forward by removing the engine bolts.  The fit is so tight.  I was just wondering if there is a way of fitting them easier than making a mess of the carb to airbox rubbers.
Ta
Nairb
cb550k3, cl450k5, re5m, xs650xs2, mt500, kettle, gt550 x2,  gt380 Kz750 twin cb360K0

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
Re: cb550 k3. Fitting those carbs. Any tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 08:39:48 AM »
Hi
Yes there is a way of leaning the engine and I seem to remember Trigger mentioning this in a prior post

My method is to undo the rear air box mounting bolt (top at back) so the air box has some waggle. The I push the air box rubbers back in to to airbox but not all the way through. Carbs will then slide in ready easy. Assuming the airbox rubbers are newish and still reasonably soft it’s pretty easy to pull them back out on to the carbs.

I can refit my carbs in 15 mins using this approach.

I am sure there are other tips out there but this works well for me
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal