Author Topic: F1 original Honda exhaust rescue ?  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Sprunghub

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
F1 original Honda exhaust rescue ?
« on: May 22, 2009, 09:40:33 PM »
My bike is currently set up with a Motad system.  With it came the original Honda downpipes currently rigged to an original Paul Dunstall silencer, which I'm going to offload.

Also with the  bike came the original Honda exhaust.  Externally, I'd grade it 8/10 or better.  There is some very light marking to the chrome with a small section of rusted off chrome, on the under side by the drain hole, totally out of sight.

The internal condition looking down it from the "engine" end is lightly rusted but I'd say very serviceable,.......the internal tube is quite widely perforated, as per it's original construction.  The baffle plates look ok.

At the exit end, the 'tin' perforated tube is suffering a bit.  It's about 5/10 for condition.  The perforations are much smaller but a lot more of them & it's pretty "soft".....lightly holed through in places.

I thought I'd seen replacement "end tubes" but having just checked the Fiche, it looks as if the tubes are for other models & there is no sign that the silencer is servicable ?

Anyone have any experience of rescuing one of these ?  I reckon the perforated tube could be overlaid or another of slightly smaller diameter inserted ?? or is it neither here nor there & do you reckon I should just fit it & be darned ?? I don't want to knac*er up an otherwise good (looking) original silencer by "messing" - but I do want it to be servicable for as long as possible.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 11:02:10 PM by Sprunghub »
The current stable,
76, CB750 F1
83, FT500
89, VTR250
78, CB125T

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: F1 original Honda exhaust rescue ?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 11:14:12 PM »
Looks like it depends on how creative you are. Can you repair the original by making a replacement section and welding it in place?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 07:02:15 AM »
Those silencers are rare now in good order so whatever you can do to keep it good should you ever want to get back to standard is worth it, also havent seen a dunstall replacement for many years!

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 08:09:24 AM »
If you want to offload the Dunstall - I'd be interested.

2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Sprunghub

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 08:38:46 AM »
Ok all.....all noted.  The guy who sold me the bike said the 'original' silencer was worth more than he was charging me for the bike......not strictly speaking true.....but I did see one on-line, supposedly 'near mint', a few weeks ago which went for several hundred pounds.  But I'm all for putting her back to original, so it'll be staying with the bike.  I have a contact who can probably make me a comparable 'insert' out of stainless.  I'm sure there's some way of fixing it into the tube.....weld in a narrow 'boss' & thread it & screw it......must be a way, where there's a will !

Steve, if you pm me an email address I'll take some pictures & send them you, so you have an idea of what's what with it.   I'll probabaly keep the Motad system - in the attic or somewhere so I've got a 'fall-back'.

cheers again,
Nigel
The current stable,
76, CB750 F1
83, FT500
89, VTR250
78, CB125T

Offline Sprunghub

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 06:44:13 PM »
New stainless turned "insert" with stainless gauze tube, original wadding re-packed & there was a load of it.  Insert held in by 4 stainless grub screws, so invisably fixed.  My neighbour is great !

Looks good to me............. ;D ;D ;D

The current stable,
76, CB750 F1
83, FT500
89, VTR250
78, CB125T

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 10:48:24 AM »
Bought my F1 new in 1976, ditched the standard silencer for a Dunstall for two reasons, the standard one is too quiet, and more importantly it hits the deck far too easily.
I didn't throw it away though, it has sat in the loft for a lot of years !
The Dunstall is far too noisy for me now so I fitted a BSM silencer to the standard Honda front pipes, however it was so restrictive that I kept fouling plugs, a quick session with a drill and it now makes a nice noise and the plugs don't foul anymore.

Cheers

Den

PS would have attached some photos but Photobucket is playing up
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal