Author Topic: Hello from Pittsburgh, PA, USA  (Read 1333 times)

Offline butch studley

• View Profile
Hello from Pittsburgh, PA, USA
« on: May 24, 2009, 10:31:32 PM »
Hi...

I bought a maroon CB750k4 on February 23rd, 1974, . Rode it for 11 years, had 3 wrecks, (two were quite spectacular!) but on May 30th,1986, my home was flooded, and my garage was washed away. I found my bike in a downstream neighbors yard, caught up in a pine tree. The tank, seat, carbs & handle bars were torn off, and the front forks were bent at an odd angle and the bike was completely scoured by sand. I dragged the bike back to my yard and since then it has sat and rusted away till there is almost nothing left but the frame & engine.

I'm starting to work on my bike after 25 years of being stored outside, behind a shed. I'm very suspect of the frame, because of the tremendous forces exerted on it by the flood, and of course the engine is solidly locked up as well as all the screws and nuts & bolts are rusted. Fortunately, there was no damage to any of the fins or mounts.

I have removed the engine from the frame and have started to disassemble it. Everything seems to be welded together. I'm using a lot of WD 40 to soak the joints and an impact wrench to remove the fasteners. I'll have some pic's to go with my next installment.
I'd like to build a medium cafe bike using the engine as a starting point.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Pittsburgh, PA, USA
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 11:09:24 PM »
There is a company near me that builds bespoke frame's for classics that get raced, and they do export to America, though they ain't cheap they do build these things to race so the quality is there, not sure if they do a cb750 frame but deffinately do a cb500 and they had a cb72 in last time I visited, not adverse to taking on one offs. Ps there is I think a dot com site too that has more members from your part of the world, might be useful to visit.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
Re: Hello from Pittsburgh, PA, USA
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 07:03:38 PM »
Hi, and welcome!

Good luck with your restoration, I also have a CB750 K4

Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA