Author Topic: Cam chain tensioner  (Read 695 times)

Offline oldtuggie

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Cam chain tensioner
« on: May 15, 2020, 07:32:50 PM »
Has anyone got a cam chain tensioner for a 1976 550 for sale.
Fitted a new blade to mine but adjuster bolt is jammed I have stripped tensioner down and the teeth are knackered on the end of the bolt

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Cam chain tensioner
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 09:50:21 PM »
Havent got a spare as engines to build but thats what happens when people put a screwdriver in the slot on the end to try and force the tensioner tighter

Offline oldtuggie

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 10:15:44 PM »
Should have checked it before I fitted it but all is not lost there is only one tooth damaged and a friend has said he can repair it by putting some weld where tooth has come off and shape a tooth by filing.
Nothing to lose by trying !

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 06:59:11 AM »
Im not 100% sure but i dont think that bolt does a full rotation when its all fitted so if its in the right place you may get away with it

Offline oldtuggie

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 08:08:06 AM »
It was working and happened when I gave it a 1/4 turn clockwise to take the tension off the chain to fit camshaft and sprocket when I tightened the locknut it must have turned it a bit more and damaged the end tooth which meant when the locknut was released it didn't spring back and tension the chain.
Took it off and straightened tooth and it's working again going to refit and see what happens

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 08:11:12 AM »
The pressed metal construction of the main body can "spring" allowing more play between rack and gear, i have before now sqeezed the clamp bits in tighter to remove play but dont go too far or the rack wont move!

Offline oldtuggie

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 06:00:06 PM »
Refitted it and tightened the metal tabs down a little as suggested and it's working perfectly .
Thsnks

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 07:32:46 PM »
Just keep repeating to yourself "put the screwdriver down" and you should be fine.
Make sure the bottom of it goes into the cup in crankcase

Offline oldtuggie

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 08:48:45 PM »
Will do it's my first engine build bound to make mistakes but that's how we learn

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal