Author Topic: front wheel hub retainer removal  (Read 4549 times)

MIKE550/4

front wheel hub retainer removal
« on: June 07, 2009, 08:07:53 PM »
advice needed

drilled out dimples ( 4 ) soaked overnight in wd40 ,

made a home made tool, flat bar with 2 holes drilled and 2 bolts fitted through to fit into retainer holes,

its just the hub on its own , turning retainer clock wise ( left hand thread ? ) but not moving , gave up at moment put some wd40 to try and loosen

any advice appreciated

MIKE550/4

Re: front wheel hub retainer removal
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 08:25:09 PM »
anyone got any other ideas, tried the bolts through a piece of bar and turning right , will not give,

cant go any further with bike until i get this retainer off, put so much effort into it the aluminium round the retainer is starting to spread ,

starting to go badly wrong on this hub want more advice before i totally ruin this , 

any other way guys  :-\

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 09:57:54 PM »
Have you tried heat? not saying it will work but it might help?,  cheers Mick  ;)

MIKE550/4

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 10:04:50 PM »
no not yet, take it you mean heat the hub, not retainer

correct me if i am wrong, but this is a pain

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 10:20:36 PM »
I've never got one out in good enough condition to re-use but the retainers are readily available from David Silvers and the like, I've just ended up destoying the retainers with a chisel and hammer whilst carefully avoiding damage to the hub. I even made up a tool in the lathe to do the job that's quite a neat fit, (uses a modified 1/2 drive sockett but still wind up replacing the retainer, a mega pain as sidecar useage kills front wheel bearings, I was even considering making up a steel retainer as I've formed the theory that the retainers are so soft that they deform too readily and bind up (on any dammage at all to the threads etc) instead of comming out. At least then I could ream the threads out a bit. Think the front hubis a swine, try the rear hub retainer, one hub I even welded a steel bar to the retainer and still couldn't shift it, luckily it was only for a cosmetic tart up so mission abandonned, if the hub needed new bearings It will be lathe time...........
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 07:13:06 AM »
This is just a much a pain on the 750, I've always chopped them out
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

MIKE550/4

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 08:15:47 AM »
how do you mean johnny?

sure it will not take much to destroy top of retainer but what about parts in the thread ?

getting a new retainer not a problem, hubs are expensive, when you say chop do you mean hammer and chisel till it breaks up ?

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 09:51:50 AM »
Carefully lodge a chisel so as to push the retainer towards the center of the hub, it will deform into a heart shapeand peel out nicely leaving no bits, just be  carefull of the threads on the hub and remember you get plenty of tries at crushing the retainer, a chisel cuts though it quite easily as it's softer than the alloy of the hub.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 08:41:19 PM »
I had some extreamly sharpe but small  headed chisles, I could not get the retainer to budge, so was forced to collapse the ring by chopping inward, the retainer is quite soft, the bearing had already colllasped and the seal was removed, just as matt says it goes heart shaped and will pull out
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

MIKE550/4

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 07:12:16 AM »
ok well couple of things to tey this week end first, before i get chisel out, anyone know where you can buy a tool like this one in link blow but in uk

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0227/

MIKE550/4

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 08:03:37 PM »
update

had to chop it out in the end

2 more questions, how to remove bearings, how do you actually pull the bearings out?, it seems to sit flush with the hub,

also is there a part no for the plastic insert, part that sits inside the retainer

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 09:22:25 PM »
I ust ask Silvers for an oil seal and retainer - never know about part numbers. push a drift/nasty scewdriver thru from opposite side and leaver around at an angle, the inside of the hub is triangular and the tubular spacer between the bearings can be pushed to one side allowing you to drift the bearings out with hammer and drift/old nasty screwdriver ( I buy really cheap screwdrivers for this kinda job)

MIKE550/4

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 09:27:28 PM »
had a look , spacer in between moves slightly , about 1mm of lip to hit ?

do i just try and work round and eventually it will pop out ... do this both ways ? 

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 02:11:28 PM »
With one brg out spacer will come out and use a bigger drift on tother side, when refitting new brgs only hit on outer race and dont forget the spacer:-
retainer 44643-300-000
seal      91252-300-003

MIKE550/4

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 10:41:05 AM »
this front hub been a real pain now bearings will not budge, any other tips guys ?

want to get this fron wheel sorted and get both the wheels back on and have a rolling bike at last

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal