Author Topic: Advance retard/points  (Read 662 times)

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
Advance retard/points
« on: May 31, 2020, 12:30:42 PM »
Interesting situation, I have an original 333 auto back plate (bob weights removed and now lost)  which was on Boyer electronic ignition. I acquired a 333 auto advance unit ok Steve @400/4 bits, which I am trying to set up mechanical timing with the original points plate and points etc.  but cannot get the static firing point any further advanced than TDC, The auto advance retard unit back plates are slightly different with differing post diameters for the bob weights, is it possible there is slightly different points mounting plates for the differing auto advance units, or is my senile mind missing something. Hope you all understand what I am trying to describe.
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Advance retard/points
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 01:23:30 PM »
I think there are 2 manufacturers of the backplates, TEC and Denso iirc. Maybe you have parts from the 2 different backplates?
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 01:59:52 PM »
Both auto advance "plates" are TEC, the one with bob weights missing was original fitment, stripped for a Boyer B system in 1985. I fitted the one from 400/4 bits after the old Boyer B packed in.
In order to set up my carbs, I need a reasonably timed spark, and I cannot set up a new Boyer B accurately without the carbs being set up. All because a 40yr cold Boyer Bransden packed in
and my 40yr old carbs rotted internally.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 02:19:16 PM by ka-ja »

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 02:39:38 PM »
The complete unit when checked does not seem to have a makers name, but when both are checked on the crank, both sets of timing marks match, the complete unit only has a notch on the rotating part of the unit (7 oclock in photo ), with the timing marks matching, the question is now, unable to set the static timing to the "F" mark without loosing the points gap using relatively new points. Have now found miniscule circle with ND stamped on complete unit
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 02:45:24 PM by ka-ja »

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 03:41:23 PM »
Definitely in the right place, if I change it I weird exhaust backfires, no 2nd notch either

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 03:45:39 PM »
The complete unit when checked does not seem to have a makers name, but when both are checked on the crank, both sets of timing marks match, the complete unit only has a notch on the rotating part of the unit (7 oclock in photo ), with the timing marks matching, the question is now, unable to set the static timing to the "F" mark without loosing the points gap using relatively new points. Have now found miniscule circle with ND stamped on complete unit

One is TEC and the other is ND Nippon Denso.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 03:59:46 PM »
There has been a lot said on the US  site about Daichi points being rubbish and not being able to get enough movement to time correctly. Mark Paris (hondaman) has written about how to adjust the static part to overcome this but i aint got time to trawl for it at moment

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal