Author Topic: What is a realistic lifespan for a CB500/550 camchain?  (Read 5595 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: What is a realistic lifespan for a CB500/550 camchain?
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2020, 01:42:41 PM »
Its intersting that when you look at the Kawasaki primary chain part on CMS it comes up with 'Customers also bought ---323--- damper rubbers and cam chain guide'.

This place is expensive but lists the Kawasaki part and suitable for Honda CB500

https://www.bikeparts-vintage.de/Primary-Chain-for-Honda-CB-500-550-650-Kawasaki-GPZ-GT-Z-ZR-550-GPX-GPZ-ZL-600
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 01:47:20 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2020, 02:35:56 PM »
I looked last night at the Yamiya site and 7600 yen was approx £54, then you've got tax and import duties and probably import VAT.

I can get them down to approx £48 each inc P&P and VAT but you really need to order around 10 to get that figure. By the time you've reposted them to anyone else (cause who needs 10 of them) you'd be back up to the same figure as buying a single one yourself from the same website. That's for a genuine Kawasaki part BTW, not the Honda version.

I saw the name of the manufacturer the other night when I was investigating the Kawasaki alternative and now of course I can't find it anymore, it was a longish Japanese name beginning with a T, something like Tashibaki but not that of course.
Tsubaki Ken.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2020, 08:31:21 AM »
Ken dont matter about dpd your contract was with seller and they contracted to dpd so up to them to sort out.
Keep the bag and pics and claim back from card company as non delivered with proof, that soon shakes up the people.

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2020, 09:03:06 AM »
Agree with Bryan - the seller packaged the item without due care

I also pay for everything with CC and find they are on the ball with refunding and tackling the supplier and do get them to rectify any problems VERY quickly

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2020, 12:11:50 PM »
I work in the courier trade...so .... I kind of know this soprt of issue from both sides!

Contractually...you take out a contract to supply the goods with the seller.
They take out a contract with the carrier for delivery. That contract normally would include proper signature and proof of delivery, but due to CV19, those things have been amended at the point of despatch.

If the goods fail to arrive, or are damaged, you do not deal with the carrier. Any insurance payout for loss will go to the sender, who technically are still the owner of the goods until safely received. It gets even worse if the sender uses a re-seller like Parcel Monkey...as that adds another layer of contractual obligations and terms and conditions.

Start with the seller, as it's only fair to give them a chance to despatch another item and do the right thing by their customer. Then go to the Credit Card company if they don't respond. When the sender gets a chargeback and no longer has your cash....they will go after the carrier for the compensation. Until that happens, andthey are out of pocket, you are reliant on the retailers goodwill to get it sorted. That's often in short supply these days.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2020, 06:46:12 PM »
I take the view that websites like TrustPilot need to be used to. I did that with DPD when they failed to deliver a parcel claiming an attempted delivery...then had to admit their Saturday driver was failing work. I say 'they' admited... the regular driver told me when he actually delivered the parcel.

Hermes failed to collect a set of shocks incorrectly supplied to me twice....and the third time...they took the package but left no receipt or any proof the item had been picked up. Were tehy ewver delivered? no idea. The tracking number from my online booking was never scanned.

UK Mail pretended to deliver a battery to me 3 times....all at 7:30pm....which I know was the driver failing work....and scanning them as attempted at the depot to hide the fails.

Right now, the parcel market is swamped with work, with networks at capacity....and issues with getting parcels signed for. It's not a happy place.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2020, 06:55:59 PM »
Ken if you use a card to feed paypal if they dont want to help go to the card company, i did when paypal didnt respond for 5 days, they tried to complain to me but stopped when i pointed that out. Remeber there is a limited time to claim back.
Years back i sent a large heavy parcel to Australia with a 12 week delivery time, at 16 weeks i complained to Royal Mail who tried to tell me it wasnt insured at which point i told them it was only worth £10 but the postage was £80 and reminded them they had not fullfilled their delivery contract and was reimbursed the total postal charge, then delivered after 20 weeks so split the money with the man in Aus

Online Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2020, 03:27:14 PM »
Ken, don't even bother trying to call the courier company you are wasting your time and will just get more angry. At best you will get an automated reply and at worst you'll be held in a queue for 20 mins only to receive the same automated reply! I know I've tried it on at least two or three occasions.
Your best bet is to do as sump magnet suggests and place a review on trustpilot (and other review sites, Google is a good one). The couriers actually read the reviews as a bad review will lose them customers. You won't get a response but you can vent your anger!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal