Author Topic: Getting the oil round  (Read 3335 times)

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Getting the oil round
« on: June 20, 2009, 10:13:26 AM »
Hi All,
Any tips for getting the oil round a rebuilt engine? I guess its a case of just turning it over till the oil light goes out before starting. I also imagine that this would be too big a load on the starter, so kick start is the way to go.
Is it worth removing an oil gallery plug to get this going?

As usual, advice gratefully received

Seamus

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Getting the oil round
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 11:19:21 AM »
Personally i would leave out the spark plugs, remove the tappet covers and with kill switch in the off position spin the engine on the starter in approx 30 second bursts till the oil light goes out and oil can be seen arround the cam

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 06:46:47 PM »
Thanks Bryan, appreciate the advice. I have a few more days to go beforeI get that far, and will have to get the oil first.

Seamus

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 07:26:47 PM »
I agree with brian, and I always use loads and loads and loads of good oil when reassembleing
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 01:26:15 PM »
Thanks again. I will go that route. Everything was liberally coated with oil during the rebuild and the top end oiled before fitting the cam cover.

I hope to be in a position to start the beast soon, just have to repair the coils, (leads look dodgy), sort out the wiring as this has been adjusted (with different coloured wires been added).

Regards

Seamus

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 11:48:21 AM »
Any idea how long it should take. I have flattened the battery spinning the engine and that light just shines back at me. I have been doing 30 second bursts with plugs out, then leaving for a short time for things to cool.

Thanks

Seamus

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 06:10:16 PM »
It takes quite a while to fill all the galleries and the filter.

Use a car battery and jump leads

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 08:01:51 PM »
Thanks Bryan. Been using a car battery for help. Also put a litre of oil down one of the rocker holes. Left to stand for a hour and turned it over again. Pumped the oil back into the tank, but oil light stayed on. No oil at rockers (apart from the one that received a litre of oil). Repeated and stil the same. I'll give it a go for a bit longer, then I suspect the sump plate will come off to see what is not happening.

Cheers again

Seamus

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 09:12:19 PM »
Are you sure that the oil pressure switch is OK?
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 10:42:32 PM »
It was working before the dismantle, so I expect that it is still working. To be sure, I took off the gallery plug and it was bone dry in there, so I filled it with oil. I also transferred about a pint of oil from the tank to the rocker and will leave it untill tomorrow for another try. I am away for a few days from Monday, so will not get to do much more till then, but I suspect the sump plate will have to come off.

Cheers

Seamus

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 05:39:21 AM »
I have heard of having to fill the pump with vaseline to prime it but have never had to do that myself

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 10:12:12 PM »
Success at last. ;D, I gave the subject a good think, removed the sump plate for a look. Figured that the stop valve (valve that stops oil from tank draining into the sump when the bike is not running) was my problem. I could remove the two bolts securing it and then pulled out the spring and plunger. Oil started to pour out, so I refitted everything. Spun the motor (with the sump off) and the light went out pretty quickly. Refitted sump etc and spun the motor over for another two 30 second sessions to get the oil round properly. Oil level in the tank went down considerably.  :)

I guess filling the sump with oil does not work as the scavenge side of the pump just pumps it back into the tank and the feed side does not get primed.   ;)

Thanks again for the suggestions

Cheers

Seamus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal