Author Topic: Hi from Northern Ireland.  (Read 2326 times)

Offline petebog

• View Profile
Hi from Northern Ireland.
« on: June 07, 2020, 08:00:54 PM »
Hi all, new to the forum, but not entirely new to these old Hondas, had a few of them over the years although I'm by no means any kind of an expert so will be looking help and advice on this '76 550F which I just got a couple of days ago.

It's in very nice condition but I've actually taken a bit of a punt on it as a non runner. Most recent mot certificate that came with the bike was 1997. It was then restored at some point after that by the seller's father, and seems to have been recently only used for vintage displays at NW200 and such like. Seller reckoned it needs a new alternator / rectifier and probably the carbs cleaned etc. The battery is completely flat so as bought there's no life in it at all. It looks nice though...
I'll start another thread for work ongoing to try and get it running, so any advice much appreciated, cheers, Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Northern Ireland.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 08:05:11 PM »
Welcome to the Forum.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 09:53:59 AM »

Welcome Pete, nice looking bike, what are your plans with it? get it running and use it as it is or further restoration?
1971 cb750 K1

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 10:52:12 AM »
Welcome to the forum Pete. Nice looking bike you have there and hopefully you get it running OK.  Keep us posted with updates and plenty of photos.
I always use Motobatt batteries myself, never had a problem with them and they hold their charge for long periods.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 12:16:16 PM »
Welcome to the 400four forum.

+1 on the Motobatt battery.  That's your first item for replacement,  you can't do much fault finding with a 23 year old battery.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline petebog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 12:23:07 PM »
Thanks for the welcome! Yeah the plan is to get it running and on the road first and foremost, then just ride it over the summer and make small improvements as I go, assuming there aren’t any major problems when I do get it going… There are definitely a few jobs need doing. Yes new battery will be the first, and like Oddjob mentions, side panel decal is missing and other side panel is quite badly cracked and very badly repaired with some kind of black mastic / sealant effort. Rear inner guard is cracked too and plastered with the same stuff. Master cylinder leaks. Hand grips say SuperBike on them so I’ll be changing those. (Think the very first bike mag I ever bought way back when was SuperBike - mild customs and scantily clad ladies, both of which I was quite keen on at the time :D) I was a bit sceptical too about the alternator diagnosis, didn’t really think they gave much trouble, but I’m no expert.

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 01:22:58 PM »
Welcome Pete - great bike with not much work to do. I too would recommend a Motobatt, have them on 2 of my bikes that I use infrequently and never lets me down.
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 02:59:55 PM »
If rear inner guard is same as 500(very possible) i have several non perfect ones, as to side panels go to LPM and buy new to paint they are more flexible than original, stickers from Piki on this site

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 11:04:40 PM »
Hi welcome. Thought that bike looked familiar and you mentioned NW200.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Caught my eye there 2 years ago and one of few SOHC Honda's there.
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 11:10:22 PM »
Welcome to the forum and have fun.

Offline petebog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 01:08:20 AM »
Thanks again for the input, have been looking at batteries on ebay and Motobatt is around £60, Yuasa seems to be a bit more, but noticed you can get a lithium battery for just under £100, don’t know if there would be any point in spending the extra £40 though?

Bryanj, thanks for the offer of rear inner guard, I’m not certain if it’s same as 500 or not but from memory it looks pretty similar. I do have some bits in boxes that have been stored away for years and I think there might be one in there from a 500 I had that went completely stripped down cafe racer. I’ll have a look and if I don’t have one I’ll give you a shout. Hadn’t seen the LPM website before, looks the same as what you can get from David Silver but maybe a bit cheaper? And looked at stickers from Piki as well so will be getting some of those.

Oddjob, would probably be interested in that side panel if you can find it, I do actually quite like the glitteryness of the flake sunrise!

Rozabikes Tim, nice to see pic of bike from couple of years ago. I only just peeled those stickers off the headlamp yesterday! So it’s been for sale for a while then, and I’m the first one that’s been mug enough to take it on as a non runner! I do think it’s going to turn out well though…

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 07:16:11 AM »
LPM is the same as Dave Silver as he buys from them!

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 09:39:58 AM »
Thanks again for the input, have been looking at batteries on ebay and Motobatt is around £60, Yuasa seems to be a bit more, but noticed you can get a lithium battery for just under £100, don’t know if there would be any point in spending the extra £40 though?

Bryanj, thanks for the offer of rear inner guard, I’m not certain if it’s same as 500 or not but from memory it looks pretty similar. I do have some bits in boxes that have been stored away for years and I think there might be one in there from a 500 I had that went completely stripped down cafe racer. I’ll have a look and if I don’t have one I’ll give you a shout. Hadn’t seen the LPM website before, looks the same as what you can get from David Silver but maybe a bit cheaper? And looked at stickers from Piki as well so will be getting some of those.

Oddjob, would probably be interested in that side panel if you can find it, I do actually quite like the glitteryness of the flake sunrise!

Rozabikes Tim, nice to see pic of bike from couple of years ago. I only just peeled those stickers off the headlamp yesterday! So it’s been for sale for a while then, and I’m the first one that’s been mug enough to take it on as a non runner! I do think it’s going to turn out well though…

Don't think you are a mug as long as the money was right. It looks very nice and original pipe is a real result on those.

I  was blown away by the scenery in the area at the NW200. Are you lucky enough to live near there then?

Offline petebog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2020, 10:43:38 AM »
Yeah I do think it’s going to turn out to be a good bike once it’s sorted. And the original pipe is nice, there’s one on eBay at the moment that DK Motorcycles want £600 for!

I don’t live on the north coast but the ride there from Belfast up round the Antrim coast road is a firm favourite with just about anyone over here on 2 wheels. (Also a firm favourite with the Sunday drivers unfortunately.. ) You’ll find it in those lists they make of best rides in the UK, and scenery is spectacular alright!

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 11:41:19 AM »
We were in a camper van so didn't partake in those joys but I know what you mean! The other memory I have was the people were just so genuine and friendly. Great craic!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal