Author Topic: UK 500 fixer upper  (Read 3914 times)

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
UK 500 fixer upper
« on: June 15, 2020, 07:06:29 PM »
After starting to go off topic on other threads I thought I’d best start a proper build one..

As bought;

Dunstall exhaust, carbs properly cleaned from this state

Sourced a tank...

Gave it a once over for now with Rostio and cellulose Porsche Conda Green

After rebuilding the carbs, cleaning the entire fuel system, replacing a bodge points plate with a good used one, still wouldn’t run or even start. Pulled the plugs and put the used ones that were in the tool tray back in and off she went! No4 cyl still not playing ball but I can hear a stray spark under the tank, so checking the HT leads as soon as I can cobble up a temporary tank - I’ve drained the 750 tank and I’m waiting for the Rostio enamel to dry..
It has been buggered about with in the recent past, cheap Chinese points self tapped into the plate, crimps on the LT leads, possibly wrong coil, definitely wrong plugs! Loads of iffy wiring to be sorted. Just trying to get it running reliably, enjoy a few rides over the summer then plan the works over the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: UK 500 fixer upper
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 08:49:27 AM »
Great to see another 500 gem back running

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
UK 500 fixer upper
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 10:19:58 AM »
Home made fuel rig, cost a couple of quid.... trying to trace the stray spark on no.4 cyl..

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 07:18:00 PM »
All the caps are straight so I’ll look into getting the right ones thanks. I think the stray spark is actually a leaking down pipe seal, I’ve just nipped them up by hand with a 3/8 drive small ratchet and guess what another stud has snapped! Eight more ordered....

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 07:19:25 PM »
I noticed the throttle doesn’t snap back, just pulls back to the stop. I’ve tried to smooth the cable route but what else can I do?

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 07:24:55 PM »
Have you got the two push/pull cables?

Disconnect one at a time a see if there any drag.

Check the friction screw on the twistgrip.

Those are the simple things.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 07:41:48 PM »
The carbs should have a very strong return spring and there is a screw on the twist grip that slows down the throttle action, try loosening that.

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 11:31:04 AM »
Studs ordered then cancelled by the seller! Ok for now..
Threw it together and after forgetting to turn the fuel on and spluttering to a halt after 1/2 mile..... she runs lovely. Not that revvy, I’m learning to plan my acceleration, I’m very happy. Need to sort the front brake as not that good, but considering it’s lack of use everything runs freely. Had her up to 75 with no drama, that’ll do for me :-)
I know it looks different but it’s what I’ve got and I’m pleased so far!

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 12:05:00 PM »
Result !! Looks good and now running lets you get things done bit by bit :)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 12:16:18 PM »
Always good to get out and ride something you've been working on.

Looks good too, would like to hear how those pipes sound  :D

To add something to the heavy throttle concerns,  Honda specify quite a bit of slack in the twist grip which is only adjusted by the pull cable.  If you take this out,  the two cables having different run routes will conflict and significantly raise the effort needed at the twistgrip.
As a check for this,  rotate the steering to full lock both sides at which you should still be able to feel rotational slack with the grip.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 01:05:33 PM »
if that was black it would be exactly the same as my first 500 back in 75, i had a dunstall system on it and my mum and dad could hear me coming home from a mile away!
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 03:08:22 PM »
Funny you said that, I’d like to do it in my favourite ‘70s trim, think JPS Norton.....
I was only discussing this the other day - didn’t racing vehicles look so much cooler when they had fag labels all over them?

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
UK 500 fixer upper
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2020, 03:11:44 PM »
And I just picked me up a lift so I can finally get the back wheel off!! £40 off eBay just round the corner too..

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2020, 11:21:03 AM »
The return cable has snapped on the bike so that answers that one.. the K1 tank just wrecked my plaid shirt with another leak so the K2 tank is going back on, will get migging on the K1 during the winter...

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 09:47:57 PM »
Massive shopping list this week, spent all my PayPal balance! Stripped the front down and found the legs are bent back about 1.5mm, stanchions rusty, headstock rumbling. I have to shout out to Dan at Legend Motorcycles on eBay for great comms, help and next day delivery.
New OEM coils, plug caps, brake lines, headstock bearings, fork seals, gaiters, throttle cables, caliper seals, sourced a used factory manual (brilliant), getting the rolling chassis sorted at the moment. K1 tank off for proper repair, 750 tank back on for now. General wipe down and degrease whilst it’s on the lift, lubed tacho/speedo cables etc etc

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal