Author Topic: Swing arm / solidified grease?  (Read 771 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Swing arm / solidified grease?
« on: June 17, 2020, 02:27:29 PM »
After more tips folks...

Again... the neighbour’s 750 K1, and noting I can’t pump grease into the LHS swing arm nipple. (can RHS). I assume it’s grease is solidified, the bike is rather tired and unused. The good news is that there is no discernible play in the ‘arm, which leads me to think that simply freshening up the grease might save the day.

So... I’m being lazy and not even removed / attempted anything yet, but any tips to achieve what I want without removing the whole swing arm?

Cheers,
Simon.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Swing arm / solidified grease?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 03:05:58 PM »
The original ones are just a push/interference fit and not expensive BUT do not hammer on the end to fit them as you will ruin it. You can also drill and tap for a standard 6mm nipple if originality dont matter

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 03:09:39 PM »
Maybe warm that end of arm pivot with a hot air gun/hairdryrer for a while before trying again.

Also a good grease gun will push through most things,  have you one with bigger leverage?

Mine's an ancient swiss made (oooh very posh  ;D) but not much will stop it pushing grease into some really corroded parts on old cars.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 05:46:01 PM »
One problem is the Honda fitting are parrallel sided and if hit on the endthe ball inside gets trapped

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal