Author Topic: Speedo needle excessive movement  (Read 514 times)

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Speedo needle excessive movement
« on: June 18, 2020, 12:03:32 PM »
I think I might be being a bit over dramatic with the thread heading, but the speedo needle on my bike does flap about usually in the 40 - 80 mph region by about + or - 5 mph.  I've had a look at the drive cable innards and they don't look excessively worn, but I suppose there could be some wear on the end of the cable where it fits into the socket on the front wheel. 

I'm not overly concerned with the issue, could it be wear and tear inside the instrument head itself?   I suppose after 40 odd years there will be some.  I was wondering if there was a quick fix or would it a need an overhaul of the speedo head itself?  Prior to owning this 550, I haven't had a SOHC Honda 4 for about 30 years and I seem to remember the ones I had back then did the same, so am I just fussing about nothing?
Now where did I put that 10mm socket?

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Speedo needle excessive movement
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 01:16:36 PM »
They are usually very smooth in operation as they have a damper incorporated within.

Thats usually the scource of your issue to as the damper liquid can escape if the speedometer has been at any time stored other than in it's correct orientation. Spare parts supply chain always had a warning on the box to this effect.

As you suspect, it would need intervention to refill and correct this. One of the forum members has the skills to complete it "Kent400" if I remember correctly.  Worth message to discuss.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 01:26:25 PM »
If the cable is original OEM it will have a coating on the inner cable and this is not to be oiled. Also your speedo drive can have hard and crusty grease which can effect the clock, always worth a strip down, clean and re grease  ;)

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 04:24:38 PM »
I did not know the speedo and tachocables were Teflon lined. I had them flapping some 35 years ago. Got the inner cables out, cleaned them with a cloth wettened with a little kerosene and lightly lubed them with lithium grease. Never had to do it again.

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 12:25:30 PM »
If the cable is original OEM it will have a coating on the inner cable and this is not to be oiled. Also your speedo drive can have hard and crusty grease which can effect the clock, always worth a strip down, clean and re grease  ;)

I don't think the cable is original Graham, I've cleaned the inner cable up and put some moly grease on it and the needle deviation is much reduced. 

One other thing I've noticed is the speedo is grossly inaccurate.  Assuming the GPS app on my phone is correct the bike speedo reads 60 mph when the actual speed is a tad over 50 mph.  Mebbe the speedo head does need an overhaul?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 01:29:03 PM by cooleronthecoast »
Now where did I put that 10mm socket?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal