Author Topic: Engine swap on V5C .. Anyone have experience of doing it?  (Read 777 times)

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Engine swap on V5C .. Anyone have experience of doing it?
« on: June 19, 2020, 08:58:25 AM »
I saw this. Has anyone done this recently?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Engine swap on V5C .. Anyone have experience of doing it?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 09:21:43 AM »
Never had a problem changing a engine number, CC or Vin on a bike  ;)

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 09:25:44 AM »
Wouldn't alter mine until it was insured, mot'eed and taxed, even though it is tax and mot exempt, it was off road before sorn was brought in was the reason given.
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 09:35:21 AM »
Never had a problem changing a engine number, CC or Vin on a bike  ;)
So what's the DVLA document all about then in the image? It's yonks since I swapped an engine on a bike  but it seems it's not so straightforward as in the old days. I have a CB450K0 Bomber I literaly made up from parts I found in pastic boxes in a garden and the engine from a set of bare crankcases with number in the right range for the year of the frame. I have the V5C in my name  for the frame I am using but not the correct number crankcases relating to the V5C.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 09:47:13 AM »
My 550/4 Mongrel, Millie, had an engine swap that Trig did taking it from a K3 engine to a F2 engine. I just filled in the new engine number on the V5, sent it to DVLA and got the V5 back with no issues.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 09:47:37 AM »
Changed loads but never needed to fill in a form except the changes bit of V5, perhaps they are talking about modified or kit cars

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 10:31:50 AM »
They do say that several modifications can result in an examination for road worthiness by an official inspection garage before the issue of a new certificate.
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 10:44:36 AM »
In part it's trying to prevent illegal vehicle id changes, ringing, in other words.

I was looking at cars for a niece,  one of which was an uneconomic category for repair after an accident which she wanted. I was wary about lumbering her with something wrong and spoke to Vosa about it (which convinced me to avoid as too many concerns couldn't be cleared) they just want to see a logical / traceable path through the identifier parts to avoid fraudulent changes.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 11:48:46 AM »
In part it's trying to prevent illegal vehicle id changes, ringing, in other words.

I was looking at cars for a niece,  one of which was an uneconomic category for repair after an accident which she wanted. I was wary about lumbering her with something wrong and spoke to Vosa about it (which convinced me to avoid as too many concerns couldn't be cleared) they just want to see a logical / traceable path through the identifier parts to avoid fraudulent changes.
I think you are correct Nigel, it is the legitimacy of the engine they are concerned about. All the ones we have changed had current  V5's showing the engine / VIN number so they were simple Admin exercises to change the engine / number to another bike.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 01:02:09 PM »
Maybe I just try it on my Bomber and see what comes back. I am more concerened about another bike where I am swapping over all of the internals from one set of crankcases to another in order to fit an engine in the correct engine number range for the frame. I don't have the original crankcases as stated on the frames V5.

I take on board everyones comments but the screenshot I attached seems to state it pretty clearly to me what may be required and I wondered how recent the info. is. Is it something which has come in recently?  For instance I sold a 250G5 with the old 1970's style V5 but not on DVLA. I didn't bother with a V5C in the end and just sold it on because DVLA were insisting on an inspection/authorised dating cert.  and VJMC said that one digit on the frame stamping was so feint that they wouldn't sign it off as being correct.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 01:04:29 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Online paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 04:25:03 PM »
I have sent in receipts for any engine change that I have done and never had a problem.
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline OZZYSBIKES

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 11:09:09 AM »
I changed crankcases on my Majesty Yamaha and just sent in the V5 with a new engine number and colour change, it came back in a couple of weeks with the new information, easy as it could be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal