SOHC.co.uk Forums > The Black Bomber Board

Conventional valve springs in a Bomber?

<< < (3/3)

Bryanj:
But when torsion bars are used as suspension on a car they can "settle" over an extended period so there must be some sort of permant twist as it were

K2-K6:

--- Quote from: Bryanj on July 13, 2020, 02:16:10 PM ---But when torsion bars are used as suspension on a car they can "settle" over an extended period so there must be some sort of permant twist as it were

--- End quote ---

Good point,  I'll elaborate my thinking.

Although we are using "torsion" as overall blanket descriptor,  the material and final process can make a large difference to the component we are discussing.  Other applications I feel aren't the best comparitor as a means of viewing performance of something so specific as the valve springs.

https://www.engineeringenotes.com/metallurgy/steel/heat-treatment-of-spring-steels-metallurgy/26992 this is worth a read if just to demonstrate how intricate are the  choices made by the original design in selecting the most resilient performance.

MrDavo:
Porsche 911s sit on torsion bar suspension rather than coil springs, and though I've never heard of it as being a problem, I did notice this on the widely respected Pelican Parts website, however they make a living selling new spares, so do have a vested interest:

--- Quote ---While many normal cars use coil springs, the 911 suspension uses the torsional stiffness of the metal bars in order to provide the necessary spring. Like traditional coil springs, as the cars age the torsion bars have a tendency to become weak, or even snap and break.
--- End quote ---

My CL450 barn find sat for several decades with an exhaust valve open, causing a mouldy piston crown and a rusty valve seat. However, there have been absolutely zero problems with setting and running that valve, a check after 660 miles showed zero change in the valve clearance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version