SOHC.co.uk Forums > The Black Bomber Board

Conventional valve springs in a Bomber?

<< < (2/3) > >>

AshimotoK0:

--- Quote from: K2-K6 on July 08, 2020, 08:58:22 AM ---I
Or, in the same fashion,  use one of those double ended yacht rigging tensioner to gently wind on more load and hold while you read off torque when pin locates.

--- End quote ---

I might do that Nigel (I always knew them as 'turn-buckles'  :)) and put an accurate  tension digital load cell i have,  in line,  to measure the force  and calculate the torque from the length of the bar (bar at 90° to the tensioner).

kettle738:

Why would a torsion bar be any more susceptible to ageing than a spring?.....after all, a torsion bar is essentially an unwound spring and twists in exactly the same way.......unless someone knows different?

Mick.   

taysidedragon:

--- Quote from: kettle738 on July 10, 2020, 07:05:42 PM ---
Why would a torsion bar be any more susceptible to ageing than a spring?.....after all, a torsion bar is essentially an unwound spring and twists in exactly the same way.......unless someone knows different?

Mick.   

--- End quote ---

Coil springs weaken with age too. That's why you measure the spring length.

AshimotoK0:

Mick.   

--- End quote ---

Springs easy to source ... torsion bars NOS, very expensive and NLA from Honda

K2-K6:
There's just such an almost impenetrable fog about these engines in particular that really obscures any clear judgments if they are out there.

It'll be interesting to see what your testing yealds Ash as like you I suspect it's difficult to get a good read of the load while accurately positioned.  If you can get repeatable numbers at least you'll have a more factual foundation to work with.

Mick.   

--- End quote ---

As you Mick,  I don't see as much change as is generally put forward by discussion of these components.  Many are projected as nothing more than because it's old,  then it must have changed "stands to reason innit "  ;D out in the great internet.

Metallurgical reasoning gives that steel is prescribed for spring components specifically to alter their long term (permanent) physical composition,  such that defined heat treatment,  hardening,  subsequent stress relieving manufacture,  then leaves the components able to maintain this condition almost indefinitely. 
The metallurgy doesn't change,  all the heat treatment lies way out of engine temperature operating range all reasearched and field tested to levels significantly beyond layman's terms of appreciation or reference.  Many have no hope of understanding it let alone give informed comment,  but that doesn't stop them presenting their "facts".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version