SOHC.co.uk Forums > Anorak's Corner

New E10/5 fuel

<< < (3/5) > >>

SteveW:
I have just had to replace the fuel lines on my 550, they have lasted just over 2 and a half years. That is around 1200 miles.

The lines had disintegrated into a slimy sticky mess with chunks breaking off. This is bog standard fuel line bought from local motor factors.
I’ve used it dozens of times over the years on classic cars and bikes without any issues at all.

Also I always turn my fuel tap off about 1/4 mile from my house. I’ve got it down to a fine art now so the bike dies as I get into the drive, so there should not be any fuel sitting in the lines but they have still gone bad.

Rob62:
Very odd...modern fuel line should withstand modern fuel.... :o

71 V12:

--- Quote from: Rob62 on July 05, 2020, 06:59:38 PM ---Personally I avoid regular fuel like the plague.... premium fuel for your classic is the easiest way to avoid 10% ethanol.....for the time being at least.

--- End quote ---

Fully agree. Ethanol fuel is Hygroscopic and will lead to internal corrosion of old steel fuel tanks. I assume modern fuel tanks have corrosion proof finish, perhaps zinc to avoid this issue with ethanol.

gtmdriver:
Here's a link to a list of compatible materials.

https://s41.photobucket.com/user/gtmdriver/media/Biofuel%20Safe%20Materials_zpsychuz2sf.jpg.html

SteveW:
Brass and Aluminium listed as not suitable?
So as well as fuel lines, rubber and plastic parts failing the carbs themselves may take a hammering?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version