SOHC.co.uk Forums > Other Bikes

Z1 as a project?

<< < (2/59) > >>

MrDavo:
Blimey, and I thought CB750 pipes were expensive!

Your mates bike is blooming lovely, Andrew, but i want to restore a bike for the pleasure of doing it, and so I don’t have to spend £20k. However it looks like these days you need that sort of wedge to find the right bike and do it properly.

I’ll check out that forum, thanks.

Andrew-S:

--- Quote from: MrDavo on July 17, 2020, 09:18:21 AM ---Blimey, and I thought CB750 pipes were expensive!

Your mates bike is blooming lovely, Andrew, but i want to restore a bike for the pleasure of doing it, and so I don’t have to spend £20k. However it looks like these days you need that sort of wedge to find the right bike and do it properly.

I’ll check out that forum, thanks.

--- End quote ---

Yes Dave, 72/73 Z1 pipes are not cheap - I should clarify I was talking about NOS pipes.

Worth checking out the Z1 OC forum, might see you there too: http://z1ownersclub.co.uk/

Good luck with your hunt.

Andrew-S:

--- Quote from: Oddjob on July 17, 2020, 01:47:34 PM ---My brother in law has a Z1000 with some OE Z1 pipes on it, he was saying the other day he's going to be selling it as his back won't let him ride it anymore. I may just end up buying it, it's not a Z1 but it's close enough I suppose.

--- End quote ---

He must have made up or bought the Doremi hanger brackets as the Z1000 as standard has a 4/2 set up.  Z1000 A1's are starting to fetch decent money as the prices for the Z1, Z1A, B and Z900 keep going up, particularly home market bikes. The A2 less so, but it will catch up when the time is right. That also goes for the Z650, particularly the B1 - like most models the first generation command the highest prices.

I'd grab the Z1000 if you have the chance.

The Z1000 is actually slower than the Z1 due emission controls but still a very nice and proper Zed, see the road test report below.

Andrew-S:

--- Quote from: Oddjob on July 17, 2020, 02:46:20 PM ---Difference between the A1 and A2 Andrew? forgive my ignorance Kwacks never interested me enough to research them, I like some of them but only the Z1 had me tempted to go away from Honda.

MY BIL bike looks just like the one in the article, same colour as well, sort of an olive green. Not sure how it got the exhausts to hang, I've never had to work on it as my other BIL does all the work on it, same BIL who keeps nicking my tools  >:( >:(

--- End quote ---

The main noticable differences were: paint schemes, the A1 (77) was available in Diamond Wine Red or Diamond Sky Blue and the A2 (78) in Luminous Red or Green. Front calipers on the A2 moved to the rear of the fork legs. The A2 had lower handlebars.

sprinta:

--- Quote from: AshimotoK0 on July 16, 2020, 08:18:39 PM ---I think you want one 'cos they have a beefy roller bearing crank Dave .... after all the hassle you had with Honda plain bearing cranks.

It's bad enough getting hold of the Honda D.I.D. rims with the correct diamond logo and without the unsightly side scripting but the thought of having to search for correctly date coded Takasago rims would do my nut in  ;D

What's the score with pattern pipes on a Z1 .. I have heard of Doremi  but is there an equivalent of Yamiya No-number 750 HM300's?
I must admit that that is one gorgeous looking 4 into 4 on the Z1. It's such a shame that the Z650B1 didn't have a 4 into 4 . I had one of those and it was a really nice bike ... plain bearing crank though Dave so a big no-no.  ;D ;D

--- End quote ---

Something to take onboard with the Doremi pipes is that they are not double skinned like the original downpipes were and as a result will tend to discolor.

Don't understand why they do not double skin them as the aftermarket Honda ones done by DS/Yamiya are. 

I do not believe that Yamiya make a pipe set for the Kawasaki Z1 four pipers.

Fortunately I still have good original date stamped set on my Z900A4.

The Doremi set will generally set you back around £1200.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version