Author Topic: What's it worth?  (Read 705 times)

Offline Phil9886

• View Profile
What's it worth?
« on: July 17, 2020, 04:05:06 PM »
Hi. After 10 years I've finally finished my UK K6 restoration project (started first time today and sounds amazing). It was a complete strip down / engine rebuild (I had that done by someone else) and the philosophy was to not put anything back on the bike unless it was original and perfect or a new part from Honda. I realise it's cost a lot more over the years than its worth - but was interested what I should be insuring for? She really is beautiful and I would imagine could be one of the best? Any ideas on insurance value? I've attached a photo (rear footrests and disc guard still to go on).

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
Re: What's it worth?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 05:17:12 PM »
When I insured my CB750K1,  I wanted an agreed value, rather than argue the toss after the bike had gone AWOL. I'm sure if there's a cheap but rough one on the market, that's the price they'd go for, and without solid evidence that yours was much better, you'd be stuck with that value. They said no problem, but as well as photos they insisted on a valuation by someone in the trade, rather than just what I thought it was worth.

Mark at Track & Classics has been a mate for decades, and he did the written valuation report. To add detail, I educated him about points such as the value of genuine HM300s, but he had no problem valuing it at £12,000. I later sold it in the real world for £11,000, so we weren't taking the mickey.

Like for like, K1's are probably valued slightly higher than K6's, but then yours sounds and looks to be in super brand new order. Frank would probably want £20k for it :)
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Phil9886

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 05:52:27 PM »
Thanks. That's very helpful. I've no intention of selling right now (unless my wife finds out it could be worth that sort of money!).  I'll try and get a valuation and a written report. 

Re the value - I'm sure I've spent more than £20k over the years (new exhausts, seat, engine rebuild, handlebars, chrome work, wiring loom, ignition coils, all the ectrical components under the LHS panel, alternator coils, starter motor, headlight, indicators, bearings, seals, brakes, chain and sprocket set, wheels, spokes, paintwork by the guy who used to paint Barry Sheene's bikes (Faircharm - the paint is a piece of artwork), oil tank, cables, all the rubber bits, carb refurb kit etc. etc. So it's been expensive.  But I enjoyed doing it over the years.  And to hear her start first time and run so we'll after all those years today - was a wonderful moment.  Will enjoy taking her for a maiden voyage to Box Hill for a cup of tea in a week or so once the paper work is sorted.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 06:40:58 PM »
I have got our UK K6 insured for £850, which is £50 more than Trig paid for it 😁😁😁😁😁. Trig has spent a few pennies on it since and she's a lovely bike.
Your bike is lovely Phil, it's a real credit to you. My personal opinion on the value of it, would be £7500-£8000 with an insurance value of about £9000. Don't sell her yet though, get her run in and do any snagging and just enjoy riding her.
I think Mr Davo is well over the top saying Frank would want £20k for it, but Frank does know how to charge, that's for sure 🤣🤣🤣🤣
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 06:46:55 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline 71 V12

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 06:46:48 PM »
Insurance valuation should be based on the retail price the bike would be sold for in a dealer. The valuation should not be based on what the bike cost to restore nor what prices are at auction on line or in a auction room.

Look at what is being asked for an excellent K6 by the trade as your guide would be my advice👍👍😀😀

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 08:41:26 PM »
£20K  :o That is a lot of labour charges.
I picked mine up for £800 and spent £2,500 getting it to a good standard. Value for a mint UK K6 is around £6.500 to £7.500 in todays prices  ;)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal