Author Topic: F1 Ignition Switch Woes!  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Phatcol

• View Profile
F1 Ignition Switch Woes!
« on: August 03, 2009, 11:47:44 PM »
Hello all! After years of running Brittish iron (Bonnies mostly), I decided it would be good to join the 197-'s, and get a CB750!
Great bike, my F1; should've done it earlier, etc, but the little buggers have been at it! In trying bo hotwire it, they cut the wires to/from the ignition switch, and pulled off the connector from the back of the switch. I'm reconnecting the wires direct to the connectors on the back of the plastic connector block at the ignition switch, but seem to have lost power to the pilot light, and tail light. Can anyone tell me if these are both fed from the same fuse? The fuse seems ok, and I'm wondering if my guess at the wiring to the switch is wrong (funnilly, everything else works ok though).
If anyone with an F1 could help with how the wires are arranged in the block, it'd be a great help, and get me back on the road again ;D!
Anyhow, cheers to a really good, and informative forum!
Phatcol.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: F1 Ignition Switch Woes!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 08:51:51 AM »
Have a look at this, had a similar problem on my F1, it turned out to be the fuse block connections in the end. Yours could be different, the only real way to do it is to follow the wiring.

Cheers

Den

1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 02:00:06 PM »
Here you go had my camera handy first photo is from right handside of bike 1976 F1 hope these help you  ;), cheers Mick.

Offline Phatcol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 05:31:07 PM »
Cheers chaps, the piccies especially will help me get that bit done, and if that doesn't do it, then it must be the fuse box right enough! I'm working the next few days, so it looks like a straightforward job (hopefully!) for Friday.
Thanks again,
Colin.

Offline Andy1976

• SOHC Member
  • '76 Honda CB750F1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 09:24:51 PM »
I had problems with my ignition switch too. The PO had removed the connector block, leaving the spade ends exposed. When I started the bike and increased the rev's, vibrations from the bike loosened the spade ends, causing it to arc across two wires resulting in the main fuse constantly blowing.
This happened the evening before My wife and I were going away to Scarborough for the weekend.
Caused major panic.  :o  :o

Andy

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 09:36:44 PM »
by the way in case you didn't know it you can get new connectors to go inside the connector block but the plastic blocks can be hard to get the right ones. Might end up being easyer than splicing wires :-\
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Andy1976

• SOHC Member
  • '76 Honda CB750F1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 09:42:59 PM »

Offline Phatcol

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 11:07:33 PM »
Thanks again guys;Andy especially; I've had a look at that site, and recon it might be better to wire up a new connector block that trying to guess the right size of connectors, and hoping for the best!
Cheers all, Col ;D

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 10:22:49 AM »
Hi, I use these suppliers a lot, genrally very fast good service. One word of advice though, the plastic casings won't fit with the standard Honda ones or indeed if it's the same as the 550 any of the switches / electrics mountings etc. However using a small technical screwdriver its quite easy to push back the latch on the back of each terminal  and remove all the metal connectors and replace them with new ones, for the ignition switch I think you'll be wanting 6 X female lock and latch 6mm blade terminals - I'd buy a few spares as they can often come appart on other parts of the bike as well - I'm thinking the red - red/white wires by the solinoid + fuse on cb550's here in paricular.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 08:29:03 AM »
I use their "Japanese Bullet" connectors - replaced most of them on my CB750, remember to get the insulating covers too.
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 09:48:35 PM »
The main switch is used to connect the red (+12v from the battery) to the black wire (+12v regulated circuits) in the 'ON' position.When the key switch is moved to the 'PARK' position the brown wires for the tail light and front pilot light is connected to the red wire.

On some bikes the black/white wire (ignition) is connected to the green (chassis earth) so as to deter people hotwiring the system.
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal