Author Topic: silencer  (Read 1910 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: silencer
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2020, 05:44:01 PM »
These are pattern parts and therefore the devil's own work. Why these manufacturers can't try the products on an actual bike and rectify the faults heaven only knows. Been doing the pattern part struggle myself for the last week.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline SeanFD

• SOHC Member
  • "Still running against the wind"
    • View Profile
    • Belfast-2-Belfast-By-Bike
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2020, 06:42:28 PM »
Have any of you spoken to DSS about this? They pride themselves on the quality of their repro parts and what you’ve been saying clearly dents this image.

I would have thought it’s be in their interest to fix the problem by getting their supplier to Make the part properly, and giving you guys a replacement replacement.

I was considering this part, but don’t think I will now.
CB750 K2 - Ridden from Belfast(SA)-2-Belfast(NI)!
CB750 K1 - The less, said the better!
CB450 K1 - A work in progress.
CB400F Supersport - Rusty - not any more!

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2020, 08:27:51 PM »
Have any of you spoken to DSS about this? They pride themselves on the quality of their repro parts and what you’ve been saying clearly dents this image.

I would have thought it’s be in their interest to fix the problem by getting their supplier to Make the part properly, and giving you guys a replacement replacement.

I was considering this part, but don’t think I will now.

Yes.  Go back one page and read my post #11 - it includes the entirety of DSS's emailed response...

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2020, 09:31:36 PM »
To be honest DSS is very often just a reseller of these parts most of which are CMS items so they have no real control of the quality.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2020, 11:10:58 PM »
FWIW - after cleaning up the welded nuts with a tap, I just did a test fit of the silencer on the bike mounting bracket.  It fits perfectly, with no crooked fastener issues.  I don't have the header install yet, though - that may change things..

Online Harold 400/4

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2020, 07:51:01 AM »
Think I may have the thread issue with my recently bought DSS silencer as well. Can you confirm the tap size Mattsz?. Also is the conclusion the issue with the gasket is due to the silencer dimensions or the the gasket size? TIA.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2020, 11:38:33 AM »
Think I may have the thread issue with my recently bought DSS silencer as well. Can you confirm the tap size Mattsz?. Also is the conclusion the issue with the gasket is due to the silencer dimensions or the the gasket size? TIA.

8mm, 1.25mm pitch for the tap.  My original mounting bolts had some rusty threads, so I cleaned them up with a die as well.  Smooth results!

I plan to reassemble the exhaust later today (still early morning here!).  I'll let you know what happens, but I don't expect to be able to answer your question, since I don't have an original gasket to compare with, and I had to destroy my original Honda silencer's end to remove it from the header, so I can't compare silencers, either...

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2020, 03:57:06 PM »
So I believe the issue is with the silencer - the opening is too small.  I compared the new gasket to a well-used on still mounted on my "spare" collector, and they seem to be virtually the same inner and outer diameter - however the new gasket is about 2mm longer (measuring the cylinder length).  The new silencer opening is too tight to fit the new gasket, and too tight to fit on the old one.

I decided to try opening the silencer tabs just enough to work the new gasket in and then try to use the tabs to turn the gasket down to size.  It sort of worked, it might need some fine tuning with some sort of blade or scraper...

EDIT: damn upside down thumbnails!  I give up...

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2020, 06:06:04 PM »
Matt,
Glad you got the gasket to 'work' OK.
Finally had a chance to finish off fitting mine today - tidied up the threads and had to lengthen the fixing hole in the frame a small amount but now all fits properly and tight to the bracket etc.
On to the next challenge...
Cheers,
Andy

Offline Skoti

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2020, 02:20:18 PM »
It's possible to reduce the outer diameter of the new gasket so that it fits in the silencer better.

I done it on my F1 because I didn't want to wait for the proper gasket coming in the post all the way to CZ.

Here's my botch method,

Find a socket that's a good tight fit into the gasket.
Fit the socket onto an extension piece and clamp it in a vice with the socket base flush to the vice jaws.
Fit the gasket over the socket.
Line the inside of a piston ring clamp (or whatever you have suitable) with 40 grit paper and gently turn the outside of your gasket down to the correct fit.

Hope this helps

Skoti.

Motorcycling is Life, anything B4 or after is just waiting...

1976 Honda CB750F1

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal