Author Topic: Where have all the Nodders Gone???  (Read 2679 times)

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
Where have all the Nodders Gone???
« on: August 17, 2009, 08:36:56 AM »
Do you nod to other bikers?

I've been biking for 20+ years and I've always nodded on coming motorcyclists whether they are big bike or little 50cc scooters, I don't expect a nod back but it's nice.

Yesterday I did 120 miles a big round trip via Cleethorpes and Hull, I must have see 100+ bikes of various sizes and I can say that less that 10 returned a Nod.

I got to thinking, the Returning nodders were all Bikes that were either Classic or at least 80's early 90's, the GPZeds and GS types and Biker that were clearly all weather riders / commuters.

So are the others the summer only riders, you know the sort, 40 something, sunny day only, colour coordinated leathers, matching pillion dolly, average annual mileage 200 miles between May and September?
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
Re: Where have all the Nodders Gone???
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 07:53:37 PM »
Hi Jonny,

I belong to the latter catagory, I'm 52 after a 20+ year break from motorcycling I still nod to all 2 wheel users, some nod back some don't, but on a sunny day...what the hell.

Alan   ;)
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 09:58:03 PM »
I've always nodded but it seems to be a pastime that's in decline.
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 10:34:24 PM »
seems to be on the decline, I've been biking for 10 years, pretty mutch always nodded or waved to other bikers, the ones dressed like power rangers or weekend worriors seem not to follow the conventions, particuarly if your bike is small or well used. A lot more nods % of bikers seen when riding in winter
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline chips1953

• So many roads, so little time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 08:07:51 AM »
It's been getting less and less each year, besides nodding I always wave, but a lot of the time there is no response. When you go to Europe, mainland it's a totally different story. a supposition is that they can remove the clutch hand to wave whereas we have to remove the throttle hand, which is closest. I don't want to castigate any bikers whatever their chosen attitude, but when we meet then hopefully they will be part of the same fraternity.
Did a south island NZ tour and when you get off the bike you are almost dragged into their homes to discuss "the Motorcycle". Love the place.
Cb750 F 1975
Cb750 F1 1976 donor

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 09:08:10 AM »
I always nod and usually get a nod back. Old(er) guys on scooters nod back (the young kids don't).
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 08:30:32 AM »
Yes bit of a mixed bag, I'm still amazed that the majority of bikers that I meet are all "greybeards" like me, and they all nod. The younger guys seem to be gong that fast and concentrating that hard that they probably don't have the time ! Mind you I went around like the back of my seat was on fire when I was young and I still had time to nod.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline hector2800

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 11:09:40 PM »
I'm the same as bigal I always nod and sometimes get response. Tis true the younger fraternity tend not to, and Harley riders only to their fellow owners mostly. Older bikers are on the whole friendlier and abroad a Brit bike especially is treated with reverence. Street bikes seem to be the least friendly but then they do seem to go past at a great rate of knots,probably waving half a mile down the road.
Go on you know you want to

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal